Computer Help Thread

Nici

Sorry it took me longer because I couldn't gain access to photobucket. Anyway here we are...click here.

No idea what any of it means, but it looks impressive. :)

all looks normal, but you cant access livejournal.com ?

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope. The page sort of goes blank and it says 'waiting for ....' in the thing above the task bar at the bottom and the wee green bar thing (do you like all my technical terms?!) shows that it's loading but it's like that for ages. Eventually it comes up saying that the page can't be displayed.

Just tried WordPress and can finally gain access to that which is good.

A router.

To be honest with you most of the sites that I visit (other than LiveJournal) seem to be okay, particularly now that WordPress is working, so I can live with it for the time being although I do miss not being able to access the ATP Tennis site. My dad did mention last night that he was having a bit of trouble though so I'll ask him later and find out what sites he can't access.

Hopefully the problem whatever it is will fix itself and as long as I can gain access to WP and BCF then that's the main thing.

Thanks for your help Beef. It's good to know that it's nothing wrong with the internet connection itself and now I know who to ask the next time I have a computer problem. :)

I had terrible problems getting on the Neighbours site I admin last year, but I could get onto other sites no problem.

Eventually, I was advised to switch the router off for about 15 minutes and then switch it back on - which worked. I try it occasionally if I have problems with other sites and it seems to clear them.

Of course, Beef will probably not say that what I'm doing has no effect and it must be coincidence, but it might be worth trying! :)

I had terrible problems getting on the Neighbours site I admin last year, but I could get onto other sites no problem.

Eventually, I was advised to switch the router off for about 15 minutes and then switch it back on - which worked. I try it occasionally if I have problems with other sites and it seems to clear them.

Of course, Beef will probably not say that what I'm doing has no effect and it must be coincidence, but it might be worth trying! :)

actually its plausible a period of around 15 min downtime can trigger a BRAS reset (que jokes) which could help.

actually its plausible a period of around 15 min downtime can trigger a BRAS reset (que jokes) which could help.

:) Thanks for confirming that. It's always worked, so I guessed it probably wasn't just coincidence but I wasn't certain.

My BF works in IT and whenever my internet goes down (I'm with BT :)) he always tells me to switch the router off for 2 minutes and switch it back on. Seems to work for me too

That's what we do, too, Kate. We not only unplug our router, but the cable modem as well. We leave everything off for at least 90 seconds. It always dies on my computer first (being the actual wireless one), and then within a few minutes, it dies on my boyfriend's computer as well.

• 1 month later...

This has been happening on and off for the last few weeks so I wonder whether someone can help?

Kell has got a countdown in her signature saying how many days until Tadpole is due. Sometimes I can see it and sometimes I can't.

It's gone again today. I wondered whether it was due to me upgrading to Firefox 3 but it's very sporadic.

I also wondered whether it was something to do with Java but again, I don't think it can be as it's on and off!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Yep it is. I have a video, which I can watch on my laptop, but when I copied it to the MP4, I get the message 'file format error'. I am thinking that I need to download some sort of Codec for the Mp4?

The majority of mp4 players wont let you load external codecs, it sounds like you may need to convert the downloaded video (did your player come with converting software?)

The majority of mp4 players wont let you load external codecs, it sounds like you may need to convert the downloaded video (did your player come with converting software?)

Oh so that's what the cd is.:smile2: Thanks Beef. Any hints on how I should go about that?