Computer Help Thread

Nici

Yeah, I got the ones I bought on iTunes, but other ones that I had burned onto my old computer from cds and were sent from people through MSN and stuff won't transfer. My netbook doesn't have a cd drive so I can't burn them. :S

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

If anyone can help me I'd be so grateful as I'm very close to tears again right now.

About two days ago, Photobucket inexplicably stopped working. I've used it for years with no problem. I contacted their support and was advised to uninstall and then reinstall Flash and Adobe (or is that the same?) and Java - all of which I did. However, it's still not working - I get an error message. I contacted them again but they don't seem to be able to work.

I've just discovered that now I can't watch YouTube or iPlayer videos in full screen - I just get a blank white screen. This seems to be to do with Adobe Air, which I downloaded and reinstalled as part of the Photobucket problems.

So now, instead of fixing one problem I have two problems and although it sounds melodramatic, I'm so upset and close to tears and I've no idea what to do. Please. can anyone help me? :(

With Photobucket I get the message:

Image upload failed

Upload failed for birthday cake.gif with error: Invalid Album: Non-avatar

Photobucket uploaded something to it as a test and it worked, so it's my computer rather than my account.

With iPlayer and YouTube, I can watch it embedded (is that what I mean? A small screen within the outer frame of the web-page) but if I try to enlarge it I get a blank white screen.

I Googled the latter and found that I have to "enable hardware acceleration" to prevent the problem, but it's enabled and it's still not working.

I've tried Firefox, Chrome and IE - I'm operating XP. :)

My boyfriend did a quick Google search and found this link which has seemed to help people with the Youtube problem:

My link

You absolute geniuses! :D :bowdown: Thank you so much! I was misreading that instruction and checking it instead of unchecking it. Thanks to you both. :hug:

Just Photobucket to sort out now. :)

Yes, I'm unable to upload to any album.

They told me to do the following:

1. Install all current updates available for your Operating System.

2. Check to see if your Internet browser is in the list of browsers supported by Photobucket.

3. Install all current updates available for your Internet browser. Most browsers provide a way to check for current updates when you click the help option in the toolbar.

4. Make sure the security settings in your firewall and Internet browser are no higher than medium.

5. Check the add-ons that you have installed in your browser. Some add-ons can interfere with Photobucket.

6. Check to see if you are using an “accelerator” to compress images for faster upload through the Internet. Accelerators can occasionally interfere with content uploaded to your Photobucket account. You can try disabling the accelerator and then try uploading the content again. You may need to check the documentation from your Internet Provider or your accelerator program to determine how to modify settings.

7. Flush the DNS entries on your computer (connection issues only).

8. Check which version of Adobe Flash Player you have installed. Photobucket requires Adobe Flash Player 9 or later. You can check your version in the Adobe Flash Player product section of the Adobe website and download and install the current version. If you have the most recent version installed and are still receiving a message that you need to install the latest version, try uninstalling Adobe Flash Player and then reinstalling the current version.

9. Check the JavaScript/Active Scripting settings in your Internet browser.

10. Install all Java updates available for your computer. Check the version which you have installed, and download and install the current version, on the Java website.

11. Make sure that ActiveX/ActiveX Control are not blocked (Windows only).

12. Make sure your Internet browser cookies are enabled and not blocked.

13. Clear your browser cache and cookies.

14. Reboot all equipment in your Internet environment including modems, routers, and computers. Be sure to turn all devices off for 2-3 seconds before bringing them back online.

15. Use a different Internet browser, such as Firefox. You can use multiple browsers to help isolate a settings issue for a particular Internet browser.

16. Temporarily disable your firewall. Photobucket takes the security of your computer very seriously. However, firewall settings can occasionally block some of the features and functionality of the Photobucket site. Temporarily disabling your firewall long enough to try the problem situation can help isolate these issues. As soon as the test is complete, please re-enable your firewall.

17. Add photobucket.com to your list of trusted/safe sites.

18. Use a different computer, and try the same process, to help to isolate an issue and determine if the problem is specific to a particular system or environment.

19. Reset your password to ensure that you have the correct log in information.

As you can see from the following, I have the latest versions of Flash and Java and I have followed the suggested course of action above.

Adobe Flash Player.JPG

Java version correct.JPG

Javascript enabled.JPG

Clearly it's a problem on my PC as I've just successfully uploaded a file from my hubby's PC.

Thanks Beef. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am having trouble logging into some sites. The page will not completely load and it prevents you from logging in. The same thing is happening on another computer we have, so can I assume it's the IP and not computer error? Other people using different IP's are not having this problem.

are there any sites in particular? If there are what you might want to try is 1. ping them and try to connect via ip address rather than DNS address and 2. try to access them via a free online proxy and see if that makes a difference.

Ah DNS the cause of so many problems. What you may want to do is if you connect to the internet via a router that you have access to you can keep one dns server from your isp and another from someone like google or opendns, and that should avoid this kind of thing happening again.

• 4 months later...

Question: I have a list of books on OpenOffice text document. The problem is that they are listed from the latest title to the oldest and I'd like to have list in the opposite order, beginning with the oldest title and working it's way to the latest. Is it somehow possible to arrange it somehow, by using some particular command, it's quite a long list and I'd rather not start doing it manually?

Edit: I tried putting the list on a spreadsheet instead and apparently it's doable, with 'sort ascending'. Never mind :rolleyes:

Edit: Now the problem is, how to copy+paste from the spreadsheet to text document :huh:

Edit: It didn't copy+paste nicely to a text document, so I tried to copy+paste it in an 'add reply' box on the forum. Lo and behold, it did! It looked hella weird and it was weirdely organised but I then copy+pasted that text from the 'add reply' box to a new text document. And it came up normally :lol:

Edited by frankie