Computer Help Thread

Nici

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beef, do you have VIsta installed on yr laptop?

hahahaha...ahahahahah..no.

my dad had to borderline beg just to get xp on the laptop, I tend to use linux for most things these days. Vista tends to cause more problems than it solves, I could not be paid to use it.

I've accidentally hit a button on my keyboard and I don't know what it is! :smile2:

At the very top of the keyboard, there are three green lights. One is 'caps lock' and one is 'number lock' and then there is a third one, with a picture that looks like a suitcase with an up-arrow and a down-arrow inside. It's now lit up - I don't think I've ever seen that one lit before. What does it mean, please?

• 2 weeks later...
:lol: I signed up with plusnet as my new IP but it doesn't like my modem which came with tesco. Are new modems pricey can any one advise please? :D
not sure what you mean by "doesent like" ? modems/routers are pretty cheap now - in fact most isp's give you them free, i thought plus net did too

/me runs off to check

apparently not, they seem to have overhauled everything in the last few weeks and changed to just one standard residential package..

Hi beef

With the tesco modem you had a CD which set up your broadband and set the modem up too so I thinking it would only work with Tesco broadband. Just remembered I should have another modem somewhere safe as I was already on the internet before I went to tesco must look for it as I tend to keep things like that.

Heather

OK brain boxes...any idea why this is happening. Andy (my eldest) has quite a few footie games for the PC, his fave being Championship Manager 01/02, which he plays all the time and various others. Also some of our other PC games have suddenly stopped working when loading into the drive. Things that have previously been perfectly fine, just don't load!? Normally you put them in then you get the chuntering whooshing sound when they are loading. Now we get a feeble flicker of the light and then nothing!

Any ideas people??

Sounds like either the drive or the IDE cable is going, take it to a computer shop (a proper one, one that builds computers, not a pc world/comet) and they will replace the cable in the shop to test it, if that solves it your looking about 5quid max id say. If it needs a new drive..id guestimate bout 30 pounds.

Thanks Beef, is there any reason why some of the games work though. Hubbies war type stuff seems to be OK!!

Disk drives can be funny things, they may read certain disks, not others, or sometimes they just work fine till you REALLY need them to. It's also possible the games of your oh dont actually need the disk (common these days)

Does anyone here use photobucket? I store my images of books I've read on it to upload to sites such as this one, LJ etc, etc and have done so for several years with no problems, but today I'm just getting the error message...

Image upload failed

Upload failed for 025-2008-Aug-31-Playing With The Moon.jpg with error:

But it doesn't say what the error is! :D

ETA: Not to worry - I went back to the 'old uploader' and it worked fine. Odd though, as I've been using the 'new' one for months!

Edited by Janet