Computer Help Thread

Nici

I wonder if you can help me....

You know when you go to shut down your computer and sometimes there are updates being installed and it says do not turn of your computer, update 1of 1 being installed?

Well on Friday night I turned on my computer and it said:

Configuring updates Stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete, Do not turn off your computer.

This message had been there for about 2 hours when I decided to go to bed and leave it running. When I got up in the morning my normal log in page was there and the message gone.

However when I turned my computer on on Sunday the same message was there and it finally cleared itself after 7 and a half hours and returned to my log in page.

And then today it was there again and once again cleared itself after a few hours.

It also keeps shutting itself down during this message and I can't access my computer whilst this message is on the screen.

Do you have any ideas how to get rid of it and use my computer please? It's driving me mad!! :lol: I have changed my updates to manual and have emailed Microsoft but no reply yet....

Oh and nearly forgot, i'm using Vista.

Thanks.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could change your settings to cancel automatic updates. Personally, I never allow any program on my computer to automatically update. I do it myself about once a week (or my boyfriend does it...he's the computer whiz).

Nici - try here. A lot of people are having this problem.

Someone suggested the following:

"Depending on your version place any 32 or 64 bit VISTA dvd in your computer and reboot it.

Boot from the DVD ROM

Select restore from a previous restore point

The first two restore points available to me failed. i had to go back 3 days before i found one that worked for me.

After that, manually attempt to download and install the update that was giving you issue. i simply disabled automatic updates until i can find out more about why this even happened."

I haven't read the rest, but there's 7 pages on there - hopefully someone will have the solution.

:lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I can't help, I'm afraid, but I did have problems with LJ yesterday and the day before. I kept getting timed out. When I eventually did get on, I had to log in again (normally it remembers me), so perhaps it's the site rather than your computer?

Oh, and I use Firefox. Have you tried a different browser from your usual one?

Ooh that's interesting that some other people are having problems with WP and LJ, makes me feel a bit better that it's not just me.

Oh, and I use Firefox. Have you tried a different browser from your usual one?

I use Internet Explorer 7 and always have done so I don't think it's that as such as I've never had any problems with it before.

Both sites seem ok for me. It might be interesting to know which ISP you all use, in case it is a problem with them...?

I use Orange Broadband and have had numerous problems with it over the past year or so, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was them. Hopefully it will fix itself, but hopefully sooner rather than later as I need my blog!

Karen - I have Orange Broadband too - you have my sympathies - they are terrible :)

To be fair most of the time it's okay, but every now and again it cuts off and can be down for a few hours (if we're lucky) or in some cases a few days. Everytime it's down for a long period of time we think about changing but then it comes back on and it's perfectly fine and to be honest it seems like too much of a bother changing, so we don't. But it is annoying and the people at the call centre helpline are a nightmare. It doesn't help that they're on the other side of the world and English isn't their first language!

Anyway hopefully my current problems are just a minor blip which will fix itself.

To be fair most of the time it's okay, but every now and again it cuts off and can be down for a few hours (if we're lucky) or in some cases a few days. Everytime it's down for a long period of time we think about changing but then it comes back on and it's perfectly fine and to be honest it seems like too much of a bother changing, so we don't. But it is annoying and the people at the call centre helpline are a nightmare. It doesn't help that they're on the other side of the world and English isn't their first language!

Anyway hopefully my current problems are just a minor blip which will fix itself.

That is exactly what happens to us and can be a nightmare for the kids with homework sometimes - when you call up they deny any problem and say it's your system but then it all comes back on. I think they do that so you don't claim back from them. Karen do threaten to change and they will give you a month free!! But then you deserve it for the sheer inconvenience.

could the people with problems please do the following and paste back the results as it sounds like it may be a dns thing.

click start, then run, type cmd and hit enter, a black command prompt will appear , type

ping livejournal.com and tell me the results

then type

ping 204.9.177.18

and again put the results in this thread.