Cricket

Kate

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cricket.....is that the sport that you can fall asleep to. Why do they take so long to run up and bowl...yawn. At the moment their cup of tea hasn't helped them much has it :D

I'm not sure if I can face listening/watching the test match today :blush: I know you have to take the rough with the smooth, but this was the critical match we just had to not lose. I can't see even the faintest glimmer of hope from the players or the weather that we might be able to eek out a draw now.

Cricket.....is that the sport that you can fall asleep to. Why do they take so long to run up and bowl...yawn. At the moment their cup of tea hasn't helped them much has it :lol:

I used to think that, until I met my OH. He explained the game to me, and after years of having to watch and listen to it, I now see the art of the game. The minute adjustments to the placement of the fingers on the ball and the turn of the wrist can make it spin, swing, bounce up or keep low, testing and teasing the batsman, encouraging them to making errors. The captain has to be a master of tactics to gain the upperhand on the other team. Then the batsmen who can read a particular bowler, and can smash him all over the ground and destroy the bowlers confidence in his own abilities.

And it's not just the game itself, it's the commentary that makes a great test match. Listening to Test Match Special is not just about the sport, it's about life, storytelling, entertainment ... and cakes!

I used to think I could cope with the one day game, and wonder how a game that took five days could be so interesting to people, but now I realise that the 20/20 and one day game is really just a bit of fun, but the test matches are the real heart of the sport.

Congratulations to the Australian team who completely outclassed England this match.

I have to commend Broad and Swann for their 108 runs for the 8th wicket - fantastic entertainment!

I have to concur with chesilbeach. Great batting by the tail-enders, but Australia out-played us

:lol: Yeah, I heard that on the news this morning. They said he's 39 and hasn't played a test in 7 years! They're not showing a lot of faith in their current players!

Yeah, I don't think that would be a great move to be honest.

Apparently the Oval is a great batting wicket, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a draw.

• 2 weeks later...
Not a cricket fan....but I guess they did good;)

:D You could say that! :lol:

I'm ecstatic that we won, but I have to say, it wasn't as good as the 2005 series. There was just something incredibly special about 2005, and I think it will be a very long time before we see another series with the same atmosphere as that.

All credit to Australia though, their second innings, whilst far short of the total they needed, was brilliantly determined, and they cannot be faulted for effort.