Cricket

Kate

I don't know if there is already a cricket thread, I couldn't see one, and as we have a football one and a tennis one, I felt it was only right to have a cricket one.

So, am I the only cricket fan on here?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid I don't like cricket at all! But my dad does and goes to Lords goodness knows how many times over the summer to watch the matches.

Robbie also loves cricket and dad has taken him to see a 20 20 match before and he throughly enjoyed it!

I don't know if there is already a cricket thread, I couldn't see one, and as we have a football one and a tennis one, I felt it was only right to have a cricket one.

You certainly are not, I became a cricket watcher rather than "fan" when they won the Ashes a year or so ago!! Its much more exciting now than it was years ago. Certainly preferable to football. I also like watching rugby, now there's REAL men for you. Jonny Wilkinson way hay!!!:)

I love cricket! I occasionally go to the games but usually prefer to watch it on telly so I can see all the stats and replays. When I went to England in 2004 I did a tour of Lords, which was excellent! We got to see the player's changerooms and went out onto the little balcony, and into the press box etc. It was one of the best things I did while I was over there. Oh, and I saw the Ashes urn as well, of course!

When the Ashes were on in Australia last (the one where we, ahem, won the Ashes back :)), I took a lot of time off work so I could stay home and watch it all. The most enjoyable way for me to spend a day off is during cricket season, when I can lounge around and watch the cricket while reading snippets of my book during commercials (or during the cricket itself - let's face, it's not vital to watch every ball bowled during a test!).

<sigh> Only 4 or 5 more months until the cricket season starts up again. Until then, I'll have to live vicariously through you, KB!

I hated cricket until I started going out with my now husband and it was a case of love me, love my cricket!

I eventually ended up doing the scorebook for the club he played for for a few years, which meant I really got to understand the game, which I think helps.

I have to say I'm more of a fan of one day cricket/20Twenty games than test cricket though, although even that can get exciting towards the end.

So who saw the result last night against New Zealand? Lost on the final bowl, by a bowling mistake. Not good at all :) Need to catch up with what is going on with Collingwood now.

Kylie, I do the same, read whilst watching cricket :D

Tempers were flaring over that kb but I'm glad they kissed and made up. I think our cricket captain Daniel Vettori is pretty cute :)

Although I don't watch it very often, I adore one day cricket, I love the fast pace. Find tests matches a bit long and drawn out.

Tempers were flaring over that kb but I'm glad they kissed and made up. I think our cricket captain Daniel Vettori is pretty cute :)

Although I don't watch it very often, I adore one day cricket, I love the fast pace. Find tests matches a bit long and drawn out.

It depends who is playing to whether it is boring or not. I find England vs. Australia is always exciting in test matches but yeah I prefer one day cricket.

Ya no what, I was watching the other day and noticed he is a bit nice! Hehe! :D

I love cricket! I occasionally go to the games but usually prefer to watch it on telly so I can see all the stats and replays. When I went to England in 2004 I did a tour of Lords, which was excellent! We got to see the player's changerooms and went out onto the little balcony, and into the press box etc. It was one of the best things I did while I was over there. Oh, and I saw the Ashes urn as well, of course!

When the Ashes were on in Australia last (the one where we, ahem, won the Ashes back :)), I took a lot of time off work so I could stay home and watch it all. The most enjoyable way for me to spend a day off is during cricket season, when I can lounge around and watch the cricket while reading snippets of my book during commercials (or during the cricket itself - let's face, it's not vital to watch every ball bowled during a test!).

<sigh> Only 4 or 5 more months until the cricket season starts up again. Until then, I'll have to live vicariously through you, KB!

Wasn't so long ago, Kylie, that the only way you'd have been allowed in the Pavilion at Lords was if you'd come to make the sandwiches!

I love cricket, too. Don't think much of 20/20, to be honest - it loses much of the subtlety and depth that makes a decent cricket match interesting, in my view - but you can't beat a good Test match. I could sit and watch Shane Warne bowl for hours!

When I was in Sydney a few years back, I was really looking forward to catching a day's play at the SCG. Then I realised that they don't play in August! (I consoled myself with trips to Brookvale Oval and Toyota Park instead ...)

And by the way, the Ashes are only on loan ....

I love cricket, too. Don't think much of 20/20, to be honest - it loses much of the subtlety and depth that makes a decent cricket match interesting, in my view - but you can't beat a good Test match. I could sit and watch Shane Warne bowl for hours!

When I was in Sydney a few years back, I was really looking forward to catching a day's play at the SCG. Then I realised that they don't play in August! (I consoled myself with trips to Brookvale Oval and Toyota Park instead ...)

I quite like 20/20, but I worry that it will eventually take over and make test (and even perhaps one-dayers) obsolete. Because of India's success with the IPL, a lot of countries will want to do their own version and the game is clearly going to expand and become much bigger than it currently is.

Brookvale Oval and Toyota Park...:) I haven't even been to those places myself. I keep meaning to though...

And by the way, the Ashes are only on loan ....

Oh yeah? How long are they on loan for? 20 years? More like indefinitely! :D And don't get me started on the fact that the Ashes are kept in England full-time regardless of how often Australia keeps winning :D

:) And don't get me started on the fact that the Ashes are kept in England full-time regardless of how often Australia keeps winning :)

Well they are ours.....

Sussex vs. Lancashire on the tv, yay! Sorted me out for the next 2 days. And my fav player, Murray Goodwin is at the stumps :lol:

I've just heard on the news that the ICC have decided that the result of the 2006 Oval Test between England and Pakistan is going to be changed to a draw.

England were given the win after Pakistan refused to come out of the changing rooms - it was decided they'd forfeited the game.

Now they've made this ruling, does it automatically mean that if one side stays in the changing room then the game is declared a draw?! :)

Daft!

That makes no sense! It was said that the decision (although it was unpopular and led to Darrel Hair being banned from umpiring for a while) was within the laws of cricket. The ICC are now overturning their own laws! They keep changing them to suit themselves and in the process they're making umpires, teams and countries look silly.

That makes no sense! It was said that the decision (although it was unpopular and led to Darrel Hair being banned from umpiring for a while) was within the laws of cricket. The ICC are now overturning their own laws! They keep changing them to suit themselves and in the process they're making umpires, teams and countries look silly.

Agree with that, Kylie. Darrell Hair was hung out to dry on that one - disgraceful treatment of one of the best umpires the game's had in recent years.

Good news, though, that you can change the result of games retrospectively. As a Fulham supporter, I'll be lobbying to have the result of the 1975 Cup Final overturned (you may have to look that one up ....)

• 6 months later...

Hey,

I've just joined the site and like it lots so far! I searched in sport for a cricket thread because I love it!

I'm a big Durham and England fan and my son has just been selected for the 2009 Durham Under 12's team :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...