Carlos Ruiz Zaf

kehs

Only 2 months to go!

I've been anxiously awaiting The Angel's Game. I even decided to buy the Hardcover version (something I dislike) just because i can't wait anymore.

I've been entering every competition I see for an ARC of TAG but have been unsuccessfull, so am still patiently waiting for the release date. However, I am pleased to see that the price on Amazon has driopped to

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed in Waterstone's the other day, that they are selling a new edition of Shadow Of The Wind with an extract from The Angel's Game included. Very annoying, as I don't want to buy another copy of a book I already own, but I really want to read the extract. Must see if it's online anywhere ...

I noticed in Waterstone's the other day, that they are selling a new edition of Shadow Of The Wind with an extract from The Angel's Game included. Very annoying, as I don't want to buy another copy of a book I already own, but I really want to read the extract. Must see if it's online anywhere ...

I would be tempted to just read the extract in the shop, find a comfy chair which plenty have these days :)

Crumbs, I'm really looking forward to reading The Angels Game. Thought I'd just pop by to reiterate this sentiment. :)

I would be tempted to just read the extract in the shop, find a comfy chair which plenty have these days :)

I think it might be exclusive to Waterstone's, or at least only the big chains are stocking it, as the two indy shops I went in only had the standard copy of the book. Unfortunately, the Waterstone's didn't have any comfy (or uncomfy, for that matter) chairs, and I think they were predicting that people might pick up the book just to read the extract, as they had a paper slip around the book so you couldn't open it.

I think it might be exclusive to Waterstone's, or at least only the big chains are stocking it, as the two indy shops I went in only had the standard copy of the book. Unfortunately, the Waterstone's didn't have any comfy (or uncomfy, for that matter) chairs, and I think they were predicting that people might pick up the book just to read the extract, as they had a paper slip around the book so you couldn't open it.

Oh bummer, couldn't the paper slip slip off? What nasty pasties :), will just have to wait...it will be worth the wait I'm sure. :)

I'm not familiar with the work of this author, but the topics he writes about have made me curious enough to read something and see if I like it. It sounds fascinating, but if it really is for me, I'll only find out by reading it myself.

In a newsletter of a Dutch bookshop they offered to let us read two chapters recently. I signed up and am waiting now to receive those chapters and see what his style is like. Actually, I'd rather read the first book first from the beginning, but I've become very curious! They are allowing us to read chapters two and three of the second book on 18 may. (why not chapter one?) The newsletter also said it's part of four books.

I just reread the newsletter and I missed a link they had placed for the first chapter. I hadn't read the whole newsletter carefully, so I didn't see that. Here is the link for chapter one for anyone who reads in Dutch, provided by Donner Boeken, hope it works:

http://www.selexyz.nl/content/Het_spel_van_de_engel/Hoofdstuk_1.pdf

Edited by sadya

I finished The Angel's game last week and was blown away by it. You lot have got a terrific read ahead of you! I won't say too much for fear of spoiling it for you but . . . WOW! This was a superb read. I haven't yet gathered my thoughts to give it a review but I was gripped by every page. I can tell you it's darker and more gothic than SOTW. I was trying to read the last pages whilst at work and blasted customers kept interrupting the flow! If it had been my own shop I would have locked up early to read in peace. Lol!

Thanks Kehs, you've really whetted my appetite for it now! Can't wait for this to come out, and I'm off to the library website now to see if I can reserve it in preparation for them getting their copy in.

I'm already 8th in the list :D Hopefully, they'll get more than one copy!

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone's interested, Carlos Ruis Zafon was interviewed on Claudia Winkleman's radio programme on Friday evening, talking about The Angel's Game. I haven't listened to it myself yet, but if anyone wants to, it will be on BBC iPlayer (should be there until Friday 19th June) or you can download the podcast through the normal routes.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I was looking for 'Prince of the Mist' which seems to be translated in English. Has anyone read it? This year it's for sale in Holland for the first time, but not translated in Dutch yet, they're selling the English version. I'm thinking about buying it, since none of our libraries have it. But I hesitate, because I want to be sure that it's a great read before I buy it.

'Shadow of the Wind' and 'Angel's Game' were excellent books and the description of 'Prince of the Mist' sounds interesting to me, though it was written for children. I'd like to experience more of that special magic of 'Shadow of the Wind' and 'Angel's Game'.

Our library had a copy of 'Gaud

Edited by sadya

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

"The prince of mist" has been translated in Dutch, there is a chance it might be available in libraries in Holland now. Meanwhile, here are the first three chapters in Dutch to get an idea of the sort of book it is, so far I'm enjoying reading it:

http://yaboeken.blog.nl/files/2010/10/Zafon-De-nevelprins-Leesfragment-Hfdst1-3.pdf

I'm looking forward to reading the entire book. :-)