Carlos Ruiz Zaf

kehs

Apologies if I have posted in the wrong room. This is my first time at starting a thread on here. ;)

What I wanted to tell you all is that I have just heard there is a prequel coming out to one of my very fave books - The Shadow of the Wind. I was curious as to whether there are any fans of Carlos Ruiz Zaf

Yes I read this too and was so pleased. I checked to see when it's out - wanted to get first on the list at the library and it's not until next year from what I could gather.

I've had The Shadow of the Wind on my TBR pile for a while now. I guess I should make an effort to read it before the prequel comes out!

Well, you've got a year or so to get reading it, but once you do you'll wonder why you left it so long. It's a fab read . ;)

Ooh, I loved The Shadow of the Wind, I'd heard there was another in the series coming out in 2009 but I didn't realise it was a prequal. It's going to be a trilogy eventually isn't it? I'm not sure where I read that......

Anna

I didn't know it was going to be a trilogy. I wonder how long we'll wait for the third?

I've had The Shadow of the Wind on my TBR pile for a while now. I guess I should make an effort to read it before the prequel comes out!

^^^What she said.

• 1 month later...

A prequel to The Shadow of the Wind?? I hardly ever buy any books as new, I buy them secondhand (or borrow from the library), but this is so worth making an exception! The Shadow of the Wind is one of my favorite books. Too bad I read this thread now instead of June 2009, how can I stand the wait :smile2:

• 3 weeks later...

I also loved The Shadow of the Wind very much. It was one of the books I rushed through because I couldn't wait to see what was happening, so I guess I will re-read it in order to get all the details. I didn't know though that the prequel will be published. May be I should get that when it is out and re-read The Shadow of the Wind afterwards.

I started The Shadow of the Wind on a very long flight to India and it certainly passed the time!

Not sure now whether to read it again before the prequel, or read the prequel and then read TSOTHW afterwards so they're in the "right" order

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read The shadow of the wind just a few weeks ago, I had a problem wirh geting into the story though. It took me quite a while to read it, I stopped and read something else first and then got back to this book. But then I found it easier to read. Quite strange.

I really don't know what to think of this book, it was weird, hard to start and easy to read in the end and I really wanted to know how it ends.

Bit I'm not sure if I will read other books of this author.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I loved The Shadow Of The Wind too. I'd seen it about, and was planning to get it at some point, and then it was one of the assigned books for my reading group. I was gripped from the introduction, and even bought a copy for my other half for Christmas last year, but the reaction from my reading group was mixed. A few of us loved it, a few couldn't get into it and didn't finish it, and others thought it was okay or awful in varying degrees! We rarely all agree on any book, but this one had nearly everyone with a different opinion!

Having loved The Shadow Of The Wind, I'm not actually sure if I would want to read a prequel, as for me the book covered the entire story that I wanted to know about. I doubt I will re-read The Shadow Of The Wind, as much as I enjoyed it, purely because I rarely re-read any books, as I have so many on my to be read list, but I would recommend it as an enjoyable read.

I found this synopsis on Amazon after checking for the release date. It certainly sounds like another fabulous read.

Product Description

In an abandoned mansion at the heart of Barcelona, a young man - David Martin - makes his living by writing sensationalist novels under a pseudonym. The survivor of a troubled childhood, he has taken refuge in the world of books, and spends his nights spinning baroque tales about the city's underworld. But perhaps his dark imaginings are not as strange as they seem, for in a locked room deep within the house letters hinting at the mysterious death of the previous owner. Like a slow poison, the history of the place seeps into his bones as he struggles with an impossible love. Close to despair, David receives a letter from a reclusive French editor, Andreas Corelli, who makes him the offer of a lifetime. He is to write a book with the power to change hearts and minds. In return, he will receive a fortune, perhaps more. But as David begins the work, he realises that there is a connection between this haunting book and the shadows that surround his home. Set in the turbulent 1920s, The Angel's Game takes us back to the gothic universe of the Cemetery of the Forgotten Books, the Sempere and Son bookshop, and the winding streets of Barcelona's old quarter, in a masterful tale about the magic of books and the darkest corners of the human soul.

I found this synopsis on Amazon after checking for the release date. It certainly sounds like another fabulous read.

Product Description

In an abandoned mansion at the heart of Barcelona, a young man - David Martin - makes his living by writing sensationalist novels under a pseudonym. The survivor of a troubled childhood, he has taken refuge in the world of books, and spends his nights spinning baroque tales about the city's underworld. But perhaps his dark imaginings are not as strange as they seem, for in a locked room deep within the house letters hinting at the mysterious death of the previous owner. Like a slow poison, the history of the place seeps into his bones as he struggles with an impossible love. Close to despair, David receives a letter from a reclusive French editor, Andreas Corelli, who makes him the offer of a lifetime. He is to write a book with the power to change hearts and minds. In return, he will receive a fortune, perhaps more. But as David begins the work, he realises that there is a connection between this haunting book and the shadows that surround his home. Set in the turbulent 1920s, The Angel's Game takes us back to the gothic universe of the Cemetery of the Forgotten Books, the Sempere and Son bookshop, and the winding streets of Barcelona's old quarter, in a masterful tale about the magic of books and the darkest corners of the human soul.

This book is sitting on my TBR list. Ah me I won't get to it just yet!!

• 1 month later...