The last book you mourned finishing?

Amanda

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Fever series but haven't got round to reading them yet.  I felt a bit bereft when I finished the True Blood series, and also The shadow of the wind.  I didn't want The American Boy by Andrew Taylor to end either, as it was so well-written and engrossing.  And I'm always a bit sad when I finish a Poldark book too, they're like old friends now!

But Gone with the Wind is the only book I've ever finished then immediately started again. Honestly. Read the last line and flipped the book back to page one and started all over again.

I would love to read this book and I did try once years ago but I couldn't get past the first 100 pages or so (I may not even have reached that).  I can't actually remember the reasons why either, maybe the length was a bit daunting or something but I really would like to try again.  Maybe I'll try and track a copy down and give it another shot now that I'm that bit older (and wiser).

I mourn finishing all my books, unless there the kind that you can read again and again, but like the last harry potter, re-reading it and reaching the end will never feel the same as the regret I felt finishing it the first time.

Absolutely.  The Harry Potter series is and always will be one of my absolute favourite series ever and I love re-reading them every now and again.  But yes, the feelings you had first time around will never be replicated.  I've got a couple of work colleagues/friends who have never read them (although believe me I am trying to get them to do so) and I am so, so jealous that if they do read them then they get to experience it all for the first time!

The whole Shopaholics series by Sophie Kinsella. I loved them. Laughed and cried. Wish there was another addition to the series.

Hmmm.  I have mixed feelings about this series.  On the one hand I loved the first couple of books but from about Shopaholic & Sister it all got a bit meh for me.  Admittedly I haven't read the most recent ones (although I'm sure I will do at some point - if I ever find the time) but my personal feeling is it should have ended long before now.

Gone With the Wind *sigh* I just finished it for the fourth time last month.  In 4 days.

Wow!  I really will need to track down a copy and give it another try.  Maybe a trip to my local library is in order.

Honestly? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I've never mourned a book's (series') end as much as that. Nothing can compare. 

Loved it... including the epilogue which I know a lot of people didn't.