The last book you mourned finishing?

Amanda

There are many books I've mourned finishing, of course, but just thinking back it's odd that a couple of the ones that immediately spring to mind are genre books - Lonesome Dove, as I mentioned on a different thread; and A Canticle For Leibowitz.

Mostly, though, I think the books I mourn finishing, I mourn as for the time and place I was reading them, where everything was just clicking together (sitting on a warm train trundling across central Europe, or staying at a girlfriend's house, or lying in bed in the warmth at the end of a good day). It's sometimes hard to detach the enjoying the book and enjoying the time and place I'm reading.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that when a book really affects me in some way, I have such a hard time picking up a new one - I put it off and find something else to do (like reading on BCF!:D)

I think I am going through that now. I have decided that I am not ready to reread that book that I finished, but I am having a hard time moving on, at least moving on to any serious reading... Here I can Emily Loring and Dean Koontz.

Hi all, i have just finished reading Little Fingers by Tim Hewston Le Roux, fantastic book which kept me up nights, but i never wait too long until i pick up a new one.

Any high recomedations? im into pretty much everything. At the moment Im reading Daniel Birch's ' Clipped ', which is very different but guys, it is so so funny. Its had me cracking up on the bus in the morning, people are looking at me strangly while i cackle but i cant help it!!

see ya!

I loved, LOVED The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier. I learned so much about tapestry making and I had a really hard time putting it down after finishing it. I wanted to start it again immediately, lol. Each chapter is written from a different character's point of view, and I don't know, I just found it fascinating. She went in to so much detail about what the artists use to dye the wool, how they work with it on the loom, and even how hard it was to translate a drawing on paper into some huge tapestry design.

-Marcia

• 7 years later...

What's the last book you mourned finishing? Or in general, what have been the books you hoped would have continued, and continued, on and on? 

I can't think of a latest title I would've mourned finishing. Nothing comes to mind at the moment. But as a reader I've experienced this phenomenon all too often. I think it's one of the downfalls of reading books: they come to an end sooner or later! :unsure: 

The Shepherd's Crown.

Not because it was a great book but because it was the last Discworld book.  Pratchett has been such a major part of my life that reading the last one felt like an unavoidable goodbye.  My eyes still fill when I think about it.  

And the last page of the book is still crinkly from my tears.

I finsiehd them a while ago but miss reading the All Souls Trilogy, which were A Discovery of Witches, Shadow of Night and the Book of Life.

I know I will have to read them all again and I will look forward to it.

The last one was probably The Crimson Petal and the White which I ended up rationing out chapters so that I didn't rush it and finish too soon!

:banghead: I was just talking about this book in Tim's thread!  I must get to it next year.  It's so massive, so good to hear ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Bo Balderson's books about "The Cabinet Minister" (the main character is never referred to by his name, just his title). There are only 11 in the series, and I've read 6 of them. I grieve every time I finish another, cause I am closing in on the end. They are just too good!!!!

Edited by emelee