The last book you mourned finishing?

Amanda

Have you ever finished a book and, even if the ending in "happily ever after," you experience a bittersweetness if not flat out mourning over the book's end? I feel this way often when finishing a really great book. I finish, and I want to rejoice for the character and admire the author, but instead I am too busy missing my newest old-friend. I took a trip with this friend, and I shared a life altering event, and then he or she is ripped away without a goodbye. I might try finding a new friend, but diving straight into another book feels like an act of unfaithfulness, like I am cheating on someone for whom I feel deeply.

What is the last book that made you feel that in the book ending, you were being denied further friendship; the book that you mourn finishing?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It often happens with me!

Titles that spring to mind where I was sad to finish are The Kite Runner, Mister Pip and The House at Riverton. It is bittersweet, you're right! You want to know what happens but then you've nothing left to look forward to apart from wondering whether your next book will live up to expectations!

Edited by Janet

This also happens to me a lot. The last book I enjoyed so much that I was sorry to finish was Lady of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Fortunately, I'm reading another one of hers right now, which includes some of the same characters, so I'm not as sad anymore!

Hmm, this doesn't happen to me a lot really. Although one series that sticks in my mind is the Tomorrow... series by John Marsden.

He writes about a group of Australian teenagers who remain free after Australia is invaded by another country. Through 10 books, we follow the group through their adventures as they mature and their relationships with each other develop. I bought most of the books within days of them being released so I always had a long wait till the next one came out and I suppose there was a sense of loss and wondering how their lives were going.

The characters in these books are probably more real to me than any others that I've ever read. I can relate to them a lot - Marsden does a remarkable job of getting into the mindset of a teenager. I've re-read the series several times and it's always like visiting old friends.

I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb. I was in floods of tears for the last few pages and knew it had to end the way it did, but still...damn. I love that book.

But Gone with the Wind is the only book I've ever finished then immediately started again. Honestly. Read the last line and flipped the book back to page one and started all over again.

It would have to be Michel Faber's Crimson Petal and The White, I was gutted when I finished reading it I wanted to know what became of the characters and even though he brought out The Apple it answered some of the questions but not all.

When I finished The Lord of the Rings. I felt like I'd been through so much with them, and knew them all so well that I didn't want to say goodbye to them or to Middle Earth.

The last book I mourned when I finished was A piece of cake by Cupcake Brown. I am surprised just how much that book is staying with me.

Previous books were The Shelters of Stone by Jean Auel and Queen of Camelot by Nancy McKenzie, both are great historical novels which I didn't want to end.

I've just finished Plain Truth: Jodi Picoult, and I didn't want that to end. I wanted her to write about the Amish life and Ellie's life after the trail...never mind hey

Brother Odd - the third in the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz.

Sadly, I wish I had the chance to read more books but what with work, publicity and writing my own, it's difficult to get the time. Didn't stop me visiting my old friend Solid Snake on the PS3 this weekend though ;)

Yes, I've wasted the whole weekend playing computer games and I'm proud of it... sort of.

I don't think I've ever mourned finishing a book. If I love a book that much I know I can look forward to rereading it in the future and that's something to which I can look forward. :)

I get this feeling a lot. Perhaps the most 'mournful' end to a book was either Waves by Sharon Dogar, which I was hooked on; or I, Coriander by Sally Gardner.

I mourn finishing all my books, unless there the kind that you can read again and again, but like the last harry potter, re-reading it and reaching the end will never feel the same as the regret I felt finishing it the first time.