Star Gazing by Linda Gillard

Michelle

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to reading this one. Have signed up for a bookring on Bookcrossing for it. We are big fans over there :)

So glad you are enjoying Linda's books Michelle, glad a recommendation has worked well. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am looking forward to finding and reading ths book. The thing that I am attracted to it the most is the main character and her blindness, for I am (legally) blind myself.

As a prospective writer, it will be interesting to see how (I assume) a fully sighted writer goes about writing bout the experiences of someone with no useable sight. I hope to one day write a story about a character who s also completely blind.

Just dropping in to say Hi (and many thanks to Miss J for saying she enjoyed STAR GAZING twice!)

You might be interested to know, GraGra, that I couldn't find any fiction told from a blind protagonist's "point of view" apart from Brian Keenan's TURLOUGH, so this isn't exactly an overcrowded field! :blush: All the more reason for you to write your own book. Good luck!

Just dropping in to say Hi (and many thanks to Miss J for saying she enjoyed STAR GAZING twice!)

You might be interested to know, GraGra, that I couldn't find any fiction told from a blind protagonist's "point of view" apart from Brian Keenan's TURLOUGH, so this isn't exactly an overcrowded field! :blush: All the more reason for you to write your own book. Good luck!

Oh wow... I had no idea that authors as well as readers frequented this forum before I joined!

thank you very much indeed for the encouraging words. B) I must admit that I have yet to truly find my voice as I writer, so I haven't embarked on a major project just yet, however I feel it won't be long now before an idea turns itself into a solid number of chapters and hopefully even a whole novel.

The library of Western Australia has Star Gazing on order so it won't be long at all before I will be able to read it. ;)

• 1 month later...

:doowapstart:Have just received my 'signed' copy of my competion winning copy of this Michelle. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks too to Linda for signing and sending it on.

Edited by Inver

:doowapstart:Have just received my 'signed' copy of my competion winning copy of this Michelle. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks too to Linda for signing and sending it on.

Sooo jealous but hope you enjoy it Inver :)

• 6 months later...

Eventually got around to reading the third book from Linda (my signed copy). Again I loved it. I enjoy the way Linda writes. Writing from the way blind people imagine and deal with life was dealt with in a very sensitive manner. The relationship between Marianne and Kier was wonderful. How Linda managed to imagine climbing into a tree house when you are blind I have know idea! So glad the ending turned out the way I wanted it to (slightly predictable!) but didn't spoil it.

Living in Aberdeen I know about the Piper Alpha Memorial in the rose garden in Hazelhead park and have seen it. It is a wonderful momument to those unfortunate souls who lost their lives so tragically off shore and Linda's description is spot on. I was supposed to meet up with Linda when she was coming to Aberdeen to research for her book (via bookcrossing).

Look forward to your next book Linda :blush:

Photo of memorial

Another photo

Edited by Inver

i must add linda's books to my tbr list as well, not often i pick up a scottish author ( and i am scottish) they tend to make me think that they gonna be old fashioned! My aunts fault who passed all her old books on to me! these sound more up to date scotland tho! will give them a bash!:D

Hi Shaka1909 and thanks! :D

Can I suggest some other contemporary Scots authors you might enjoy? If you like teen reads/crossover try Gillian Philip's superb and very topical BAD FAITH and CROSSING THE LINE. If you like intelligent romance/chick-lit try Erica Munro's DATING GAMES. Other favourites of mine are Andrew Greig's ELECTRIC BRAE and WHEN THEY LAY BARE. And if you like crime, William McIlvanney's LAIDLAW, Glasgow's answer to Rebus, leaves Rankin in the shade IMHO.

(Just for the record: I'm English, but I've lived in Scotland since 2000 and 2 of my novels are set on Scottish islands.)

Thanks, Inver. Imagining being blind and lost in the snow was harder than the treehouse! :D

I hope to have some good news for you soon about a 4th book. It's too early to say yet, but things are looking hopeful...

Excellent news Linda.:eek2: