Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee

Janet

Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee

013-2008-Jun-19-CiderwithRosie.jpg

The 'Blurb'

Cider with Rosie puts on record the England we have traded for the petrol engine. Recalling life in a remote Cotswold village some fifty years ago [Note: now 91 years ago - this is an old copy!] Laurie Lee conveys the semi-pleasant spirit of a thousand-years-old tradition.

I know a lot of people read this at school, but for some reason, it bypassed me and it's one of those books that I've mean to read for years and years but it was only because I found an old copy for £1 in a charity shop that I've finally got round to it.

It's the first part of Laurie Lee's autobiography, which starts in 1917 when he was three years old, and tells of his life in the rural Gloucestershire village of Slad. Lee's mother married a widower with three daughters - who moved to London and left her to raise them, together with their own children. Their scatterbrained mother believes that one day Laurie's father will return to them, but in the meantime raises his children and theirs in her own inimitable way!

I've clearly missed out on a real gem. What a delightful, charming book which, despite being old-fashioned still entertains today. His prose is wonderful and it has some really chuckle-out-loud moments in it.

The paperback is 231 pages long and is published by Penguin. The ISBN number is 978-0140016826.

10/10

(Read June 2008)