Graham Masterton - The Devil In Grey

What an opening! Just read the 1st couple of chapters in the bath & that's quite a startling start! If it carries on with this kind of thing, I think we'll be in for a bit of a rollercoaster ride...

I was just checking out Masterton's official site & I think I HAVE actually read one of his books before - Charnel House. It must have been almost 6 years ago, because I got it from the library on the corner of our street in our 1st flat together. Looking at the brief synopsis on the site, I think it's the same book I read. I wasn't overly impressed with it at the time, but I remember feeling slightly sick when reading it, so it might be indicative of a certain amount of particularly descriptive gore. However, so far I'm rather enjoying DIG...

The "gore" is actually rather integral to the plot. The manner of death is vitally important, so it all ties in. It is quite visceral, but at the same time, it's very readable, despite the fact that every now & then you actually wince in sympathy!

First impressions!!!

I think that this book will prove to be an easy read, but an exciting one. :wink:

You'd be right - at least, I think so - LOL! I fuond it very easy to read, if a little uncomfortable in places (mostly at the beginning till I got used to Masterton's style). Once I og tinto it, I was raring to go!

First impressions!!!

I think that this book will prove to be an easy read, but an exciting one. :wink:

You'd be right - at least, I think so - LOL! I fuond it very easy to read, if a little uncomfortable in places (mostly at the beginning till I got used to Masterton's style). Once I og tinto it, I was raring to go!

Yep! I agree.. an easy read, but a good one. :reading:

Well I really loved it, it had all the right ingredients in my opinion. A great storyline, great characters, an even greater villain.

It was believable and so well written.

I thought Decker was such a good character and I think that helps make a story so good :reading:

The only 'problem' I had was that there seemed to be a jump to the gangs, and Santeria (is that the word? lol) - for a short time it seemed disjointed, then it all started to come together.

I also loved Decker, and I'd like to see more stories involving him.

The beginning was gory, but in a good way. It wasn't going for the shock factor, like authors like Laymon.. they were well written, descriptive scenes.

Yes, I liked the "jolt" at the beginning, & I agree about the slight disjointedness in the middle till the plot threads al pulled together.

I especially liked the Santeria aspect as, from what I know, it was very well researched & well presented. It's unusual to have something like that in a book & not have it misrepresented as something entirely evil, but to show that it can be abused, like any power, by the person or people harnessing it, as well as being used for good & everyday things - that for many people it is a major part of their lives.