Richard and Judy Summer Reads 2008

Janet

I am reading 'No Time For Goodbye' by Linwood Barclay at the moment, its being discussed tomorrow (02.07.08) on the show.

Iv'e got this as well Paula so looking forward to this evenings show to see what they say about it. :)

I missed the show, how did 'No Time For Goodbye' fair?

I was in asda today and bought:

The Outcast by Sadie Jones

The Pirate's Daughter by Margaret Cezair Thompson

East of the Son by Julia Gregson

I have only some of Richard and Judy's reads, I don't go out of my way to buy them but the ones I have bought, I have enjoyed.

Edited by Weave

I missed the show, how did 'No Time For Goodbye' fair?

I turned the telly on just in time to see them put the book down and go onto the next item :) - however as it's one that I'd like to read I'm sort of glad I missed it in case Richard said too much - as he does at times.:) I think I caught Judy saying that it was her favourite out of this year's batch.

Judy,Nici, I think you will both enjoy 'No Time for Goodbye', I won't give anything way (like I would?:)) but it is a great read. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.:)

Edited by Weave

I'll wait for it to come into the library and give it a try then - looking forward to it, it sounds a good read.

I can send my copy when I get the chance Judy x

That's very kind Gyre - thank you, however I'll wait, as I have a number of books out on loan at the moment (including the book of the month Boy In the Striped Pyjamas) and need to read them first - by which time No Time For Goodbye will have arrived.

Thank again. It's good to hear good reports about it.

No judgement :tong: but over the past few weeks I have bought all of Richard and Judy's summer reads :006:

I went to the library for the first time in a while yesterday and picked up The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee by Rebecca Miller - I have nearly finished it already. I certainly wasn't sure where the book was going in the beginning and I find it's 1 of those books that keeps you reading although you're not sure why! :D

I've finished reading it now and actually it all came together for me at the end and I have to say I loved it!

Edited by Loopyloo100
Just finished reading book

I'm currently reading The Outcast...oooh, it is just so good. Really elegantly written prose, with great emotional depth. I'm finding it quite harrowing actually - can't bear any book that features physical or mental cruelty towards a child, so parts of it are hard to read as I feel so sad for the characters.

The only criticism I would make is that there is a LOT of plot told on the back cover. I wish the blurb could have been more opaque, instead of giving so much away, would have made for better surprises. but hey...

• 1 month later...