Allergies?

Icecream

Does anyone know anything about allergies, or what else this might be?

Katie had some white blotchy bumps on the tops of her legs this afternoon. The only thing she has eaten unusual today is some hula hoops at baby group, though I don't know what butter they put on the toast. The trousers she had on were given to me with loads of other stuff months ago, and I am not sure if she has worn that pair before now. I was wondering whether it could be the detergent the previous owner used, but she has worn a lot of the other clothes from that same lot, and would that still be on the clothes after a few months?

I can't see what else it could be other than an allergy, because she hasn't hurt herself, and doesn't seem unwell.

I have an allergy to strong detergents Icecream, but that brings me out in a red itchy rash, almost imediately, not a white blotchy one. (I have the same reaction to grass too)

I don't know if it could be a food allergy but it doesn't sound like a skin one to me. Not much help I know, but process of elimination and all that.

Hope she feels better soon.

I've been breaking out in pressure rashes lately, red welts wherever pressure has been exerted, caused by anything from tight clothing to scratching. I believe the underlying cause to be a seed allergy (which we recently started putting in our bread) but have yet to prove this. It's currently being controlled with antihistamine tablets.

Has anything in her diet changed recently (over the past few weeks?) or in her general lifestyle? It's a process of elimination.

Your best bet would probably be the doctors if it continues to be an issue, or a google search :roll: that's how I made my own diagnosis

Thanks guys. I can't think of anything that has really changed food wise. We usually eat the same things. I changed her yoghurts, but that was a few weeks ago. This morning when I put her in the bath her arms and legs, and bottom were all covered in red and white blotches, but it cleared up after I dressed her. If it happens again I might take her to the docs, and will try to think what else it might be.

Do allergic rections need to come up straight away? It is just with it being mentioned about the last few weeks of her diet that I am wondering. I might have a look on the net later.

I'm not sure. My allergy started off in my scalp but also spread to my torso later. It also manifested itself as generalised itching with the act of scratching producing the rash so the exact correlation may be difficult to spot. Additionally I have cut seeds out of my diet but the problem hasn't gone away, and is merely under control with tablets. However if I eat seeds it flares right up. How the whole allergy thing works is a mystery to me.

I took my son to the doctors with a white blotchy/bumpy rash which thankfully turned out to be heat rash. However I always say if you're at all worried see the GP- if the rash is still there try to take a picture of it incase it has gone before the appointment.

Good luck- hope all turns out well!

Icecream, I hope Katie is okay:friends0: I get the white blotchy bumps you are talking about when I wear nylon, its really itchy, I got really bad when I was younger but over the years not so bad.

:roll:

Thanks guys, I was actually hoping it was a heat rash, and she was very hot, but it was a dull day yesterday, and I didn't think you could get a heat rash through clothes..

I think it comes from being hot as well as actually being exposed to a heat source though. My daughter used to get it a lot, but it was more of a red rash.

I should get her checked out by the doctor if it's not gone by Monday, just in case, unless she starts to get unwell over the weekend in which case you should pop her along to a medical centre/hospital.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about though. :roll:

Yes Louise, that is what it looks like. I showed OH straight away and he thought it was from stinging nettles, but she had only been out in the pram. What was the infection?

Sorry only just seen this, it was nothing major at all, a chest infection that I would have put down as a cold but doctor gave him abs and he was fine. His went really fast so they were there, I rang the doctor, got an appointment and by the time we got there (our doctors are very good so was only about 20 minutes later) they had gone!

Our doctors are good like that, but you also have to ring the same day you want an appointment, which means ringing straight after 8am or they go really quick, unless you go in the surgery to book, and then you can get a different day, but they have just arranged telephone and online booking systems, so we can get appointments any way or time we want now.

I have some serious allergies. I am pretty sure that I got them from a blood transfusion during surgery. There are 4 items that "I know" I am allergic to.

Benzoine: I break out in a severe rash and blisters.

silk tape: same thing

There are 2 other things, both common, I am allergic to but I will not post them. I have been advised by the head of dermatology at Georgetown University Hospital that both would likely be fatal. My personal doctor concurs with the evaluation. Both items on separate occasions almost were fatal to me........I really have to treat my wife very nice. :D

When I was younger I suffered terribly with hay fever it really made my summers miserable. As I got older it seemed to ease quite a lot but this year it has returned slightly.

I'm the opposite. I was fine when I was younger but I started getting hayfever in my early 20s (now 26). It's getting worse and worse every year. It lasts longer and is more severe. It's really too bad because otherwise I love that time of year. :D

Yes Louise, that is what it looks like. I showed OH straight away and he thought it was from stinging nettles, but she had only been out in the pram. What was the infection?

Has the rash gone now? Hope she's okay. :D

• 1 year later...

I have very mild hayfever which generally results in a slightly stuffy nose, but I now appear to be getting problems with foods too! For a while I've noticed my throat has been mildly affected but I had quite a bad reaction after eating a very unhealthy tea the other night and went to see the doctor the next day and I've been referred on to an immunoligist to see if the foods I have definite problems with can be determined. I've found so far problems with bananas, a certain brand of cornish pasty, Redbush tea and chicken pieces with a garlic and herb coating. It's all very strange!

• 11 months later...