'Before I Die' by Jenny Downham

Inver

Novel for young teenagers.

Tess is 16 and has leukemia and is going to die. The outcome of this book in inevitable, but it is the journey Tess takes you on that keeps you reading until the bitter end. She makes a list of 10 things she wants to do before it happens. It is not the usual things you would think would be on this list, eg. taking drugs, driving a car, breaking the law. She wants to experience things she may well not achieve until she is older, but time is running out.

The characters were very down to earth and real. Her friend Zoey helps her along the way, but could lead her astray. Her dad, younger brother Cal and Adam (her new boyfriend) all become important characters. I so wanted to cuddle Cal and tell him everything would be alright. You really did feel for what Tess was/had to go through and how it was affecting those nearsest and dearest. I thought from Chapter 37 onwards she really had to come to terms with her condition and knew she couldn't get better. She writes each of them instructions, which are lovely written.

This is a well written honest account of what could happen to a young person when faced with a huge real life situation. Highly recommended but tissues required.

A book you definitely need tissues for. Very descriptive towards the end, but spot on (speaking from experience of losing a loved one). Heart wrenching ending and have tissues at the ready. I cried as the ending was so well written and appreciated how those that surrounded Tess at the end felt (been there with my mum).

Edited by Inver

Not sure the spoiler was necessary as the clue is in the title...

This is definitely the book that made me cry the most. In fact there have probably only been about five books in my entire reading life that have made me cry. I was in floods at this. I could see it coming, I knew it, but...damn.

prospero's got a heart after all. I am so glad I bought this book when it first came out, before all the hype started. I was able to read it without any prejudice and boy, was it worth it. I wish I'd written it.

Have taken the spoiler thingy off..suppose I don't need it but was fun working out how to use if...lol. Love the avatar by the way.

Not sure the spoiler was necessary as the clue is in the title...

This is definitely the book that made me cry the most. In fact there have probably only been about five books in my entire reading life that have made me cry. I was in floods at this. I could see it coming, I knew it, but...damn.

prospero's got a heart after all. I am so glad I bought this book when it first came out, before all the hype started. I was able to read it without any prejudice and boy, was it worth it. I wish I'd written it.

I loved it too, and really made me cry as well, proper sobbing but in a strange way it was uplifting, never made me feel depressed just very sad. I had sore eyes the next day and I have a lump in my throat now

When her little brother gave her permission to go I was inconsolable!

Heartbreaking but uplifting, in a way. Very difficult to pull off. In fact I might add this to my 'favourite books' list. Not many make it onto that, you know - maybe one a year. Two would be miraculous. :jump: 'Tis exclusive, that list. :D

• 6 months later...

I just finished reading this book. I loved it, even though I didn't really like the main character. I find it hard to put myself in situations like that, so I found her quite selfish. but I did enjoy it and gave it to my mum to read as well.

Edited by Kell
Took out capitalisation on every word.

• 2 weeks later...

It was worth reading, but see if you can maybe get it in a 3 for 2 offer somewhere if you are keen, or maybe a charity shop if you don't want to pay full price for it..or amazon or play.com and save on postage etc

• 1 month later...

I was recommended this book months ago when buying Eclipse in waterstones. i mentioned how the Twilight books were the first to ever make me cry and she must have thought i liked crying or something:lol:i still havent bought it though, im put off by reading anything sad. would it really be worth a read?

• 3 months later...

I read this at last, over the last two days.

I'm not sure what I make of it really - it's very well written in parts - the structuring, some of the phrases and particularly the way in which the ending is done are all superb, and hint at definate talent on the author's part. There's one major flaw though - I didn't give a damn about any of the characters. Not a single one. That's a pretty major flaw in a book about a dying girl. Glad I read it, probably wouldn't read it again.

I really don't think that's why you didn't feel a connection - the author could have written us a character we could relate to in every normal way, but she didn't. She just didn't give us anything to make a connection with, I think.