• 90 posts
  • Reading now?:Chrestomanci - Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones
  • LocationUnited Arab Emirates

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:02 PM

In no particular order:

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Paradise Lost by John Milton 

Faust by Goethe

I think...I've never made a top three reads list of any kind and have a hard time making a definitive statement here, but for now this is it. Re: Paradise Lost, though---I actually don't like it nearly as much as Lord Byron's Cain: A Mystery, which has a very romanticised sort of Lucifer, even more of a misunderstood, tragic figure than Milton's Satan, but I'm not sure how many people have really read Byron's chamber plays and if they're well known enough to count as classics.

I do recommend it heartily, though, especially considering Byron's amusing, page long opening exposition in which he swears he was completely unaware of how similar his premise is to Milton's, because really he only read Milton once, a long, long time ago, and he barely remembers it at all, etc. This is particularly interesting because the Romantic era is really the first time in literary history when originality started to become extremely important. Before that, everyone took inspiration from everyone else and re-wrote each other's work with impunity. Byron was probably one of the first to have to suffer through the "fan fiction" accusations and backlash, at least within the literary community. 

#242 VictorC4C

VictorC4C

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Reading now?:Pride and Prejudice

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:22 AM

The Godfather - Mario Puzzo (it still not old enough to be a classic, but it is so amazing I can't help myself)

The Count Of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas (a page turner!)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (as well as the rest of the Sherlock Holmes series)

#243 Mythago

Mythago

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

Pre- 20th century:

Tom Jones.

Jane Eyre.

The Last Man.

#244 dreadnaught

dreadnaught

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Reading now?:Crashing Heaven
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

I am a sucker for the victorian horror but at the moment, the three that come to mind are
Dracula - Bram Stoker
Frankenstein - Mary Shelly
And probably my all time favorite
A Picture of Dorian Grey - Oscar Wilde.

Something about the intelligence in that book that feels completely tangible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users