What are your top three classics?

tbain

I have this one on my bookshelf, but I keep putting it off because it is so long. :blush:

I know! Althoug listening (and loving!) the musical first it is really interesting seeing how the original story goes.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's worth every month of your time, Pixie (in fact, it features on the famous recommendation list I haven't forgotten about :wink:).

I love the musical too adz3, even though I read the book first - in fact, I'd go as far as saying that it captures the atmosphere and message of the book better than any of the gazillion films that were adapted from it.

It's worth every month of your time, Pixie (in fact, it features on the famous recommendation list I haven't forgotten about :wink:

I know the basic story, having seen the Broadway play (twice). Plus, I own the soundtrack which I used to know by heart (I haven't listened to it a lot lately). I want to save the book for when I really have the time and peace of mind to really read it. My anxiety sometimes gets in the way of reading long, deep novels with my full attention. Once I do read it, I know it will be one that I cherish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In no particular order:

. The Three Musketeers by A. Dumas

. Great Expectations by C. Dickens

. I vicerè by F. De Roberto

When I was a young(er) girl I loved P&P, Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, but now I read books dealing with love, passion & stuff like these and I usually laugh at them. Not in a nasty and "scroogy" way, maybe I'm just a little bit disenchanted about love!

Just a quick update, Les Miserables was worth the long read. Definitly has become one of my favorites books.
I like being right when it helps create another Mizzie :wink: your update makes me happy.

I Vicerè by F. De Roberto
D'you reckon I'd like this one my dearest? It sounds intriguing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
dante's inferno has been amazing. the other two books don't hold my attention like all the fire and brimstone that is inferno. can't wait to start "paradise lost"

Problem is, all the interesting (cool/beautifully sad/love to hate...) characters were the ones poor 14th century Dante would have been excommunicated for putting anywhere except in Hell, thus accounting for the mind-numbing dullness of Purgatory and Paradise. I mean, Dante is a supreme poet is a supreme poet is a supreme poet, but there's only so much you can do if you've used all the best characters in Book 1.

I think you'll love Paradise Lost if you liked Inferno by the way, it's just so stunning and flows so skillfully it could have been written yesterday. One of the few poems out there I actually wish I'd written (a girl can dream).

• 1 month later...

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Vile Bodies - Evelyn Waugh

This is subject to change though as I have a lot of classics to read.

• 3 weeks later...

Helloo everyone :sign0144:

Thought this thread would be good to stick my first post in but I can only manage 2 :blush:

I haven't read many classics at all but I am working on it though!

So far...

Anna Karenina

Of Human Bondage

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Here are my top 3 of classics:

1. Seneka- "Epistulae morales ad Lucilium"- collection of 124 letters dealing with moral issues written to Lucilius Junior.

2. Dostoevsky- "The Brothers Karamazov"

3. Defoe- "Robinson Crusoe"

• 3 months later...

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Tess of the D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

Passion (W.H.)

Chills and growth lessons (C.C.)

and -

the beauties (and ugliness) of Nature and human nature (Tess)