What are your top three classics?

tbain

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Women in Love by D H Lawrence

Dr Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

Can you guess I'm a  hopeless  :wub: romantic..?  

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Women in Love by D H Lawrence

Dr Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

Can you guess I'm a  hopeless  :wub: romantic..?  

:D Maybe a little! I know the title Dr Zhivago, but I know nothing of the story. Is it hard to get into? And if you are a hopeless romantic, let me recommend you the following... (read on)

I can't believe I haven't replied to this topic yet. I have to consider the matter more deeply, I cannot come up with two other titles, but my most favorite is...

1. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens :yes:

Edited by frankie

• 3 months later...

Hi everybody,

My three favourite classics are (so far):

- War and Peace, by Lev Tolstoy

- Marriage in Heaven, by Mircea Eliade (I strongly recommend that you read ANY of his novels / novellas - an absolute genius)

- A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens

Best regards,

IndyPhimaA

I haven't read many classics to come to a final conclusion xD, but since I'm from Brazil, I bet you guys don't know many of our classics and currently my favorite one is Cinco Minutos (Five Minutes) by José de Alencar and it was great :).

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think I've read enough to have 3 top favorites, but I know for sure that my favorite classic is

A Tale of Two Cities

Ditto! :D  And I can't believe I almost gave up on it after 60 or so pages... :blush: It was so heavygoing for me at first... I would've given up on it if it hadn't been a book for uni :)

Ditto! :D  And I can't believe I almost gave up on it after 60 or so pages... :blush: It was so heavygoing for me at first... I would've given up on it if it hadn't been a book for uni :)

yes the beginning was dreadful for me as well. I'm glad I pushed through because I absolutely loved it. 

Breakfast ant tiffany's by truman capote

The wind in the willows by kenneth grahame

One hundred years of solitude by gabriel garcia marquez

These are definitely my tip three fave. The wind in the willows is the first classic novel i've read when i was a little kid. Btw i love whilde's short stories though i read the simplyfied versions.

As a chinese, i don't read much classics in english a lot, for they may be too difficult for me, and i mainly read chick lits. Now i'm reading vladimer nabokov's lolita and i'm already half way through it. It's great. And the next book on my classics to read list is phantom in the opera which my bff recommended me.

There're other classics book i love but they're in chinese, or else i'd love to post them up here.

• 4 weeks later...

Breakfast ant tiffany's by truman capote

The wind in the willows by kenneth grahame

One hundred years of solitude by gabriel garcia marquez

These are definitely my tip three fave. The wind in the willows is the first classic novel i've read when i was a little kid. Btw i love whilde's short stories though i read the simplyfied versions.

As a chinese, i don't read much classics in english a lot, for they may be too difficult for me, and i mainly read chick lits. Now i'm reading vladimer nabokov's lolita and i'm already half way through it. It's great. And the next book on my classics to read list is phantom in the opera which my bff recommended me.

There're other classics book i love but they're in chinese, or else i'd love to post them up here.

Snowla, your English is very good!My grasp of any Chinese is very small [none.]

My favourite classic books are........

Martin Chuzzlewit- Charles Dickens

1984 -George Orwell

Middlemarch-George Eliot

• 1 month later...

1. Middlemarch by George Eliot

2. David Copperfield

3. Lord of the Rings (someone else listed that as a classic so I will too, but I'm not sure it fits the category)

I love the ending of Middlemarch and find it very inspiring: "the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs."

1. Middlemarch by George Eliot

2. David Copperfield

3. Lord of the Rings (someone else listed that as a classic so I will too, but I'm not sure it fits the category)

I love the ending of Middlemarch and find it very inspiring: "the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs."

I am super super excited to read David Copperfield, but I've been giving myself some time away from Dickens. It gets a bit tough reading more than one in a row. 

• 3 weeks later...

AND THE VOTES ARE IN! (Now there were ties so I had to make up some rules--as impartially as possible: #1 votes got 3 points, #2 votes 2 points, and...you get it...  In the event of a tie, tie goes to the one with the most #1's, etc.)

For favorite classic author, with 16 points, the winner is (you can imagine a drum role here)... Jane Austen! (OH! the ignorant masses... wait, she's in my top 3, never mind--actually there was a 3 way tie including Charlotte and Leo, but Jane had more #1 votes--the voting was rigged though if you ask me, cause...  wait, never mind)

For favorite classic novel, the winner is... Wuthering Heights! (BOOO!--I told you I was being impartial--and that "Ack!" right back at cha--I wanted to burn it when i finished it, along with Tess--IF I HAD HAD A MATCH!  OK, OK it was brilliant writing,)

Points breakdown (for authors with more than one vote): Jane 16, Charlotte 16, Leo 16, Emily 14, Edith 8, Thomas 5, Alexandre 4, Homer 4,

I've read most to all of what Charlotte, Jane and Emily have written and they deserve to be in the top 3--in that order (and no arguing with the rules judge!).  I have also read a chunk of Thomas--maybe the best descriptive writer--I get lost in it (in more ways than one I'm afraid--and then I want to burn it!)  Love Homer too.  Read Alexandre in high school French class (Les Trois and Les Quatre Mousquetaires). But I need to pick up Leo and Edith, huh.  Victor and Oscar too for that matter... 

Just discovered this - I have been browsing a lot, now for my first post!  As I love the classics the most, it seems right to start here.

Like many others, I'm a lover of all things Jane Austen and Charles Dickens, so they have both got to feature.  I think my favourite by Jane is probably Emma, but that may be because it was the first I read.  For Charles Dickens, it's currently Bleak House, just in front of David Copperfield

Really stuck in trying to choose a third - there's just so many - but I think I will have to go with one of the great originals: The Canterbury Tales.  I've never read it in the original, but the modern version I've read is brilliant - the stories are so full of life, and I love the rhythm of the poetry. 

1. Bleak House - Charles Dickens
  2. Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift
  3. The Adventures of Caleb Williams - William Godwin

Dracula, The Three Musketeers, Jane Eyre, The Great Gatsby and Treasure Island all deserve an honourable mention, too - it's much too hard to only mention three! :D

• 2 weeks later...