Cherub Series by Robert Muchamore

Has anyone heard of or read this series?

The books are about orphans who are trained by an organisation called CHERUB to be spies for the British government. If you think Alex Rider, but with more believable plots and characters and less of a James Bond-y feel, you wouldn't be far off the mark.

The Recruit is the first book in the series with nine books so far in the series, excluding the World Book Day book.

Has anyone heard of or read this series?

The books are about orphans who are trained by an organisation called CHERUB to be spies for the British government. If you think Alex Rider, but with more believable plots and characters and less of a James Bond-y feel, you wouldn't be far off the mark.

The Recruit is the first book in the series with nine books so far in the series, excluding the World Book Day book.

My grandson reads these books and often meets up with a group of friends who are like minded.

I read these books and really enjoy them! I think the author does a really good job with the plots and writing them in a way that will appeal to teenagers. The characters are very believable and realistic, rather than the usual saccharine-sweet versions of teenagers books often contain.

I think in the more recent books, the author is bringing up some of the younger, more minor characters to replace James when he gets too old and has to leave. Although the earlier books focused on James and Lauren, I think it's a pretty clever idea to have so many characters to base a story around.

• 1 year later...

i loved reading these books even though I am abit 'old' for them. I borrowed them from a friend when I read them but intend to get the series for my collection and also want to try Robert Muchmores latest series Hendersons Boys.

Anyone read any of the new series and have any opinions?

My son has read all the Cherub series and the first of the Henderson Boys books which he thought was as good as, if not better than Cherub.

I've read a few of the Cherubs as I was concerned that perhaps they were too 'adult' for his age. I thought they were exciting and very readable. MI6 meets Grange Hill.

I thought the last Cherub book (The General?) wasn't quite up to par. It seemed a bit lacking in ideas and excitement compared to the others in the series.

• 1 year later...

I eventually got round to starting this series a few weeks ago. I've read the first three books and have the next three on loan from the library. I like the fact that they're a bit more believable than the Young Bond / Alex Rider series. I also like it that the main character is flawed and this puts him at risk at times. Good fun.