Who is your favorite detective/crime fighter?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the John Rebus series, also Hercule Piorot and Miss Marple, they re old school but I like them. I ve never read any of the Inspector Morse series but I watched the tv series. I tried to read Cadfael once but read the first page and put it straight back down. I must go and root out one and give it another go.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus, Robert Crais and his Elvis Cole, and Deborah Crombie's Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James. (Elvis hangs out in LA and the others in the British Isles.) I've read everyone of their books featuring these characters plus most of their stand alones.

Grammyva

I am so excited today! I posted yesterday that the characters in Deborah Crombie's mysteries are some of my all time favorites and......just today I received a notice that her newest book is waiting for me to pickup at my local library! I must be psychic or something... :gl:

Grammyva

Hi readers,

Well, I used to love AC Doyle's works, you know, the great Sherlock Holmes and good old Dr. Watson as crime fighters, but I came across a new book just out called The Polyandrist Murders. The bad guy is actually a woman. Now, she fights crime a little different from the police. If you cross her or one of her friends, she just kills you. Simple, huh? That kind of makes her a crime fighter even though she is on the other side of the law. She has three husbands (at the same time) and wants their money, so she kills them, too. I loved her way of taking care of her enemies. I don't get actually read all that much, have to sleep sometime, but this book really kept me interested. It's wild. Check it out.:gl:

My favorite person, after Rebus, is Elvis Cole in Robert Crais' series. He is so cool! (His Mother named him for her favorite singer and mine, Elvis!!) The stories take place in LA. I just got the latest book in the series from my library today so may have to put other books aside for this one!

First book - The Monkey's Raincoat

Latest book - Chasing Darkness

Grammyva

www.bookclubdujour.com

While PD James is one of my favourite mystery writers, I can't really get into Dalgliesh. But then I think that is the way he is supposed to be. A bit distant, aloof. I am sure his subordinates have said that about him in the books. But then, that is probably what makes him and the books so good.

Not like some cops, for instance Rebus or Harry Bosch. They can be quite obnoxious, particularly Rebus, but you come to really like them anyway, in spite of their faults.

Well, I have to say one of my favorite characters in mysteries happens to be Stephanie Plum from Janet Evanovich's series. Stephanie is a bounty hunter and these books are humorous and a little raunchy!

Our local library has classified this series as mystery so guess this would work. I'm reading Fearless Fourteen now.

grammyva

Well, I have to say one of my favorite characters in mysteries happens to be Stephanie Plum from Janet Evanovich's series. Stephanie is a bounty hunter and these books are humorous and a little raunchy!

Our local library has classified this series as mystery so guess this would work. I'm reading Fearless Fourteen now.

grammyva

I have recently read Hard Eight and I loved it :friends0: Heather Wells from Meg Cabot's Size 12, 14 and big boned is similar. :lol:

Miss Marple is one of my favourites, shes just too clever :lol:

I have yet to enter the world of Stephanie Plum, but have one on my TBR - am I likely to be come addicted to them. What makes them so good/bad?

I'm a fan of the Stephanie Plum series, too, although there have been times when, as with the most recent one, I've felt they're getting a bit stale. That's the problem with most fiction series, I guess - in fact, I seem to recall that was the debate that was going on when I first joined the Forum many moons ago.

I think what really makes them attractive is that the characters are very likeable. Stephanie Plum is the world's worst bounty hunter, who often brings in the bad guys because of, rather than despite, her incompetence, and the supporting cast of characters is equally quirky.

They're an easy read, too. I'm probably one of the slowest readers on this Forum, but even I get through one in two or three days. They're ideal if you just want a slice of untaxing and humorous crime fiction without having to worry too much about the meaning of life.

Enjoy!