Who is your favorite detective/crime fighter?

I've just finished reading "The Rabbit Factory" by Marshall Karp, and I have to say that I really liked the characters - particularly the main one, Detective Mike Lomax. I've read a lot of detective/crime novels over the years - Rebus, Scarpetta, Brennan et al and I found Lomax to be refreshing, a bit quirky and very amusing. I would have to say that he's currently, therefore, my favourite detective.

Sounds good, I`ll have to look out for it. Another new author for me to try, the list has got longer since joining the BCF! :)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Kay Scarpetta, a medical examiner from books by Patricia Cornwell. She uses her mind (as in thinking, not anything supernatural :woohoo:)to track down serial killers, with her niece Lucy, friend Pete Marino and boyfriend Benton. Cornwell wrote a whole bunch of books about her and her cases and I just can't wait for the next one :)

Lincoln Rhyme & Amelia Sachs (Jeffrey Deaver). I enjoy the forensic details.

I like the old Dr. Kay Scarpetta (Patricia Cornwell) but haven't been impressed with the latest books (can't remember which one started going downhill...).

Others I enjoy that is similar to Cornwell are Kathy Reichs and Tess Gerritsen (detective Jane Rizzoli & medical examiner Maura Isles).

• 2 weeks later...

I came here because Laura Lippman has run out of books for now and Pendergast seems interesting but a bit gothic - a bit like X-files? I did like X-files but mostly the alien conspiracy.

Poppy and all the others who like Christie, I do too - especially Marple. She got me started on mysteries. - Sherlock Holmes is good but the show was so good with Jeremy Brett that for once the stories didn't match the books. In Christie's case even though the Poirot shows and movies like MotOExpress were wonderful, the books were better for me. Actually Joan Hickson shows did capture Miss Marple well.

Sara Paretsky - V.I. Warshawski

Carol O'Connell - Mallory

Manda Scott - Kellen Stewart

Peter Robinson - Alan Banks

Lisa Gardner - Pierce Quincy & Rainie Connor

Barbara Nadel - Cetin Ikmen

These are just the ones off the top of my head, although I will have to slip in......

Dorothy L Sayers - Lord Peter Wimsey & Harriet Vane (later Lady Peter!)

• 4 weeks later...

Alex Cross - by James Patterson

Alexandra Cooper - by Linda Fairstein

Tom Thorne - by Mark Billingham

Lindsey Boxer - by James Patterson

Pete Marino - by Patricia Cornwell

Jane Rizzoli - by Tess Gerritsen

Jeffrey Tolliver - by Karin Slaughter

Edited by BrainFreeze
In case anyone's wondering who they were created by.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm a bit of a newbie, so if I crash the etiquette please forgive and put me right!

Lord Peter Wimsy (Sayers) for me! He's Bertie Wooster with a brain! Vane/Wimsy is one of the best romances ever!

Also Inspector Alleyn (Marsh) I like them aristocratic obviously!:roll:

Out of the modern ones Morse and Rebus.

Fave on TV is Mrs Bradley but didn't like the books.

I'm not a fan of crime in general, and read very few crime books unless they come up at my library reading group. Having said that, I'm addicted to the Agatha Raisin books, and think she's the funniest "detective" ever!

I love the Agatha Raisin books , i'm only up to the wellspring of death but i'm really enjoying them so far, i'm also hoping that they'll make a tv series out of them like with Hamish Macbeth, i'd like Julie walters to play her or if not Patricia Routledge. But you're right she is very funny and such a loveable character. I recommend MC Beatons other books under her other name Marion Chesney there are 4 books so far in the Edwardian murder mystery, their really good but apparently shes had to put book 5 on hold because of such a high demand for the agatha raisin and hamish macbeth books.

I love the Agatha Raisin books , i'm only up to the wellspring of death but i'm really enjoying them so far, i'm also hoping that they'll make a tv series out of them like with Hamish Macbeth, i'd like Julie walters to play her or if not Patricia Routledge. But you're right she is very funny and such a loveable character. I recommend MC Beatons other books under her other name Marion Chesney there are 4 books so far in the Edwardian murder mystery, their really good but apparently shes had to put book 5 on hold because of such a high demand for the agatha raisin and hamish macbeth books.

The audio books of the Agatha Raisin series are read by Penelope Keith, and I can only picture her in the role now!

The Marion Chesney books sound promising; maybe I'll have a look for them once my TBR pile is reduced.

• 2 weeks later...