Who is your favorite detective/crime fighter?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking forward to reading all your reading suggestions.

I'm not sure if its Rebus I love or his TV counterpart Ken Stott, either way grumpy, world weary and grizzled work best for me. And they're repeating the Rebus series on ITV 3 on Saturday night. Yay, or yum or whatever floats your boat.

D.S Logan Macrae in Stuart Macbride's first four novels had me totally gripped.

Lynda La Plante's James Langden from Above Suspicion series, and Val McDermid's DCI Carol Jordan too.

Someone mentioned Irvine Welshe's Crime which was another cracker, but his first crime novel, Filth, was sublime.

Very gritty, and grim. I felt like I needed a shower every time I got through a chapter.

If the imagery makes you feel like you're treading through raw sewage, I'm happy.:lol:

Oh yes, I have a soft spot for Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple!

I quite like Jack Reacher from the Lee Child books although the description of '..men want to be him, women want to be with him' is absolute cheese on toast!

Harry Bosch, detective from Michael Connolly Books.

Discovered Agatha Christie last year and I also have soft spot for Hercule Poirot.

Oh yes, Harry Bosch! That's another one for me too...

Oh yes Kurt Wallander too! My friend gave me a copy of the White Lioness and that was how I was introduced to him..

I deliberately stayed away from watch the TV series as I just couldn't understand Kenneth Branagh playing him.

I assume they've kept the TV series in Sweden? Does he attempt a Swedish accent?!

Oh Lincoln Rhyme too - I always picture him as Denzel! even though in the books it is mentioned that he was red hair.

if you are going to watch the Wallender series on tv watch the swedish version its brilliant much better than the BBC one. I love Andre Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano he is great,H lovely talks about food and crime always makes me hungry. has anyone seen the series it was on tv a couple of years ago and i have been desperately trying to get a copy :Italian with subtitles.

Apart from that the trad brit crime bools Christie, Conan Doyle..all fantastic every time

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a new fave - Wallander. He rocks! (but for the record, Kenneth Branagh is definitely NOT Kurt Wallander!!!)

Yup I'd go with Kurt Wallander too - and agree re Kenneth Branagh!!! I can't remember his name but tv wise the YellowBird Kurt IS Kurt in my eyes!

Yup I'd go with Kurt Wallander too - and agree re Kenneth Branagh!!! I can't remember his name but tv wise the YellowBird Kurt IS Kurt in my eyes!

Yes. Thank you! There are two Swedish Wallanders, though, to make it even trickier: Rolf Lassgård and Krister Henriksson. Personally I prefer Henriksson, but I have no problems with Lassgård, either.

I am really into the whole anti-hero protagonist. I'd love to read a book (or develop one myself) that has a villain as the protagonist. This is such a strong meme in the movie and television world, but I tend to not find it as much in the books I read. Any suggestions? Lee Child's Reacher is close to what I'm thinking but not quite the best representative. Barry Eisler's John Rain is seemingly prototypical, the assassin who has to do things for the good guys. Any other thoughts would be welcome.

• 4 weeks later...