Moving threads into the specific genre sections..

Michelle

Setting up specific sections for certain genres is something we discussed a while ago, and decided against. When it was suggested again the other day, we've decided to give it a try.. with a larger membership now, it will hopefully work.

The biggest problem, however, is deciding what should go where! There are a multitude of genres, and many books cross over into two or more. We're therefore just trying to do our best, use a bit of common sense, and put books where they seem most appropriate.

If you feel that something has been moved into the wrong place, or it hasn't been moved, and it should be, by all means let us know. If it's an obvious mistake / omission, it's probably easier to just drop one of us a PM, and we'll deal with it. If it's something a little more complex, or you're not sure, bring it up in this thread, and it can be discussed. :lol:

I have one myself actually.. when you see the word 'horror', do you expect only the 'blood and gore' type, or a range? There are quite a few books, for example, about vampires, that aren't traditional horror.. and I'm not exactly sure where they should go!

I'd say 'horror' covers everything spooky, so not just 'blood and gore', but stuff that makes the fine hair at the back of your neck stand up.

I struggle with the same thing on my site. For example, what is crime fiction & what is a thriller? Does Anne Perry go into crime or historical fiction? What is modern literature & how do you decide it goes there instead of literary fiction or romance? Stephen King writes horror stories I think, but not exclusively... and so on.

Decisions relating to genre are very hard to make, as so many cross over. It is the same with music. Each idea is born of another and everything intermingles. If you asked whether I had read any horror, I would say no, because the Raven Hart books wouldn't spring to mind as horror, but thinking more about them , they do have some very scary events in them, though they come across on the whole as more romantic than horrific. I guess when all is said and done I would expect to find them in the horror section. Where else would they go? I was going to say maybe we could try to define a set of rules for each section, but I know that that is impossible for many books.

I don't know either author, but I would say if something doesn't really fit in a particular genre then it's probably better to leave it in general, unless you make the genre more general, such as horror/supernatural.

• 9 months later...

'Specific Authors / Books' and 'Contemporary Fiction' have been merged, and renamed 'Fiction', and it's basically for books which don't fit in the genre sections. As before, if you spot any threads which could be moved into one of the specific genre sections, please let us know.

I've also tried adding a section for 'Plays, Poetry and Short Stories'.. if you've previously posted something which should go there (or you spot something) please let us know, and we'll move it. :friends0:

• 7 years later...