Before The Storm by Judith Lennox

Michelle

On an autumn day in 1909 wealthy young Richard Finborough catches sight of twenty-year-old Isabel Zeale at the harbour at Lynmouth in Devon. Her beauty captivates him. Aware of shameful secrets in her past, Isabel has no intention of letting anyone into her life, but Richard's persistence and ardour eventually win him her trust- and her hand in marriage.

The decades pass and Isabel and Richard raise a family through the turbulent times of the First World War and the 1920s. As her children reach adulthood, Isabel is convinced her secret is safe - until an old acquaintance emerges from the shadows, turning her world upside down. To protect the happiness of those she loves most, Isabel must find the courage to confront what came before, and live with the consequences!

Part of a give away from Headline.. please share your thoughts on this book. :friends0:

I have just this second finished this book and thought it was brilliant!

Set during World War 1 and 2, the book tells the tale of a family being torn about in what was a very difficult time in history. The characters were all very well written and the description of the wars particually the 2nd World War were excellently written. It gave you a feeling of what it would have been like living in London during the Blitz. The hardship, the bombings, the every day jobs all told with a sense of you were really there. But it wasn't all doom and gloom, there were fun times and the good old british spirit was shown well. The book had a few twists and turns, some of which I wouldn't have guessed were coming and overall a good story set in a time of great sadness and uncertainty.

I would definately recommend this book and will be looking out for more of Judith Lennox's work. :lol:

I finished reading this book at the weekend, and really enjoyed it.

As someone who is researching their family history, I found that I learned a little about what it may have been like for my family who lived at the time in which the book was set. There were other connections, as my ancestors were also from Ireland (although none of them rich :D ). I thought that the characters were beautifully written, and that the female lead was strong and endearing.

As I said earlier, I found the chapters too lengthy, and I felt a little disappointed with the ending - to me, it felt rushed, but perhaps the intention is to have a sequel. If so, I'd definitely buy it.

• 1 month later...