Tinymoz

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For the attention of Raven - you said you'd be interested to hear what I thought of these books and, as I've just finished The Magician's Guild, I wanted to let you know my feelings.

The Magician's Guild, the first book of the trilogy, starts slowly, building a picture of the world that Sonea, the main character, lives in. Its an intriguing world, and one that Canavan paints rather well, if a little laboriously.

I won't spoil any of the book for anyone else interesting in reading it, but it deals with a young girl, Sonea, who is found to be an untrained magician and comes to the attention of the Magician's Guild, who want to train her before she becomes a danger to herself and the world.

The main content doesn't really start till Act 2. Its here that we find out a lot more about the protagonists, in particular the Guild, and the background to where this is all going. It is well written, despite the laborious nature of the first 100 pages or so, and comes to an ending that leads well into wanting to read the second book.

I'd recommend sticking with it if magicians and intrigue, with a little sprinkle of deceit, are your type of thing. Its no Harry Potter kind of magic, and it had potential to be more something much more.

The Magician's Guild - 7 out of 10.

For the attention of Raven - you said you'd be interested to hear what I thought of these books and, as I've just finished The Magician's Guild, I wanted to let you know my feelings.

Thanks for that!

The Magician's Guild, the first book of the trilogy, starts slowly...

No kidding! (If you've read my review, linked to above, you'll already know my thoughts on that though!).

One of the [many] things I didn't like about the book was its lack of depth. You say "Its an intriguing world, and one that Canavan paints rather well," but I found the back drop to be very superficial and lacking in any real detail. There are descriptions of the city (and a handy map to help get things straight in your head), but past that there is little or no mythology. I would have preferred a little more meat on the bone, as it were.

Edited by Raven
Correcting a typo!

Just googled these books Moz and they seem just the kind that I would love to read one day, something a bit different and not really mainstream (though I could be wrong).

Finding little gems that aren't necessarily earmarked for film adaptation is part of the reason that I have come to love reading. I also don't think there is a wrong or a right way to write about a book, just say how you feel!