• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Kell

Birthdays and anniversaries - PLEASE READ

With the upgrade, we 've got several dandy new features and we thought it might be a nice idea to put one of them into practice when it comes to birthdays.

At present, a new thread gets started up with birthday/anniversary wishes, but sometimes members haven't been around for a while and don't see their birthday wishes.

From now on, please put all birthday/anniversary wishes on the member's profile messages. They will receive an alert in their email teling them someone has left them a message - so your good wishes won't be missed.

And you never know - it might remind a few of our absentee members that we're here and tempt them back. :smile2:

Edited by Kell

Kell, do you mean instead of starting a birthday thread in general chat? Aw, I feel a bit sad about that, as I think it's nice for people to get a whole thread devoted to them with people wishing them a happy birthday! :smile2:

Yes Mia - instead of starting a thread for them. Just think though - you get all those lovely messages on your profile and they can stay there, whereas the birthday threads get removed after a little while. And there's the added bonus that when it's on your profile, you get a notification in your email to tell you you have a message, whereas with a new thread, you might not notice until ages after your birthday has passed.

But who will remind us whose birthday it is? I will forget to look for other people's birthdays I mean. I need a prompt!!! (and my family will agree I'm rubbish at cards too)

And what makes it even easier is that you can just click on the person's name when it comes up at the bottom and you get taken straight to their profile. :smile2:

On another forum I frequent we just have one thread called The Birthday Thread, the first post of which lists everyone's birthdays. And then people post in it to wish whoever's birthday might come along :roll: It's neat and tidy and reminds people of others' birthdays when they're checking threads.

It's always nice for people to get birthday wishes in their profile messages though :smile2:

I think a profile message will be nice, as said already, you can keep it and it is always nice to get nice wee messages :smile2:

I think a profile message will be nice, as said already, you can keep it and it is always nice to get nice wee messages :smile2:

I agree - it will be lovely to look back at the messages again in future. :roll:

I like the idea of keeping birthday wishes to your profile :smile2:, something to look back on.

I think it's a wonderful idea! You can keep your birthday messages forever!

Can we do all the smilies on the profile messages? Because I usually use :smile2: or :roll: and I can't see the smilie menu. Do you have to know the symbols and type them in? (I did put in a :lol: because it's a simple one that I know, but I didn't want to muck up Angel's messages!) Sorry if I've completely missed it and it's staring me in the face.

I can't wait until December now :smile2:

Thanks lovesreading. :smile2:

When you first mentioned it, I spent ages searching for a mod or something to add smilies to the editor for visitor messages. And all you have to do is press the 'advanced' button! Thanks Laura! :smile2:

Good idea....everyone likes to get personal messages....just like getting a letter through the letter box :smile2:

From now on, please put all birthday/anniversary wishes on the member's profile messages. They will receive an alert in their email teling them someone has left them a message - so your good wishes won't be missed.

And you never know - it might remind a few of our absentee members that we're here and tempt them back. :)

Ha! Exactly what it did to me :D

Yes, today is a *big* birthday for me and having received a lovely greeting from Book Club Forum here I sit baited back :)

I'm going to join in the Jane Austen reading club and the general classics one.

I know I have a copy of Mansfield Park here somewhere amongst my books!

How lovely to have you back! :) You aren't showing as having a birthday on the front page though.. is it in your profile?

Hmm, I have no idea. . . That's no idea in general about anything to do with anything at all never mind what's in my profile :D Ha!

However I do know that I share my day with Johnny Depp (birthday that is not literal day).

Thanks Michelle.