Birthdays and anniversaries - PLEASE READ

Kell

With the upgrade, we 've got several dandy new features and we thought it might be a nice idea to put one of them into practice when it comes to birthdays.

At present, a new thread gets started up with birthday/anniversary wishes, but sometimes members haven't been around for a while and don't see their birthday wishes.

From now on, please put all birthday/anniversary wishes on the member's profile messages. They will receive an alert in their email teling them someone has left them a message - so your good wishes won't be missed.

And you never know - it might remind a few of our absentee members that we're here and tempt them back. :smile2:

Edited by Kell

Kell, do you mean instead of starting a birthday thread in general chat? Aw, I feel a bit sad about that, as I think it's nice for people to get a whole thread devoted to them with people wishing them a happy birthday! :smile2:

Yes Mia - instead of starting a thread for them. Just think though - you get all those lovely messages on your profile and they can stay there, whereas the birthday threads get removed after a little while. And there's the added bonus that when it's on your profile, you get a notification in your email to tell you you have a message, whereas with a new thread, you might not notice until ages after your birthday has passed.

And what makes it even easier is that you can just click on the person's name when it comes up at the bottom and you get taken straight to their profile. :smile2:

On another forum I frequent we just have one thread called The Birthday Thread, the first post of which lists everyone's birthdays. And then people post in it to wish whoever's birthday might come along :roll: It's neat and tidy and reminds people of others' birthdays when they're checking threads.

It's always nice for people to get birthday wishes in their profile messages though :smile2:

I think a profile message will be nice, as said already, you can keep it and it is always nice to get nice wee messages :smile2:

Can we do all the smilies on the profile messages? Because I usually use :smile2: or :roll: and I can't see the smilie menu. Do you have to know the symbols and type them in? (I did put in a :lol: because it's a simple one that I know, but I didn't want to muck up Angel's messages!) Sorry if I've completely missed it and it's staring me in the face.

• 3 weeks later...

From now on, please put all birthday/anniversary wishes on the member's profile messages. They will receive an alert in their email teling them someone has left them a message - so your good wishes won't be missed.

And you never know - it might remind a few of our absentee members that we're here and tempt them back. :)

Ha! Exactly what it did to me :D

Yes, today is a *big* birthday for me and having received a lovely greeting from Book Club Forum here I sit baited back :)

I'm going to join in the Jane Austen reading club and the general classics one.

I know I have a copy of Mansfield Park here somewhere amongst my books!

How lovely to have you back! :) You aren't showing as having a birthday on the front page though.. is it in your profile?

Hmm, I have no idea. . . That's no idea in general about anything to do with anything at all never mind what's in my profile :D Ha!

However I do know that I share my day with Johnny Depp (birthday that is not literal day).

Thanks Michelle.