Good Morning!

angelofboox

Good morning! As I procrastinated away I found myself thinking I should find a new book-based forum to join...and voila, here I am, thanks to Google.

So, an introduction: my name is Jaya, I am 19 and I am from London, England - although I'm currently in Manchester at university, coming up to the end of my first year. I like reading, wasting my time on IRC, and Freecell (which is like Solitaire, but involves skill). I'm studying architecture, so I suppose I'll have to say I like that too.

I like to read...most things, but I'm still attached to young adult/children's fiction because it is undeniably great; I particularly like fantasy. My favourite books include His Dark Materials, Alice in Wonderland, The Phantom Tollbooth, Rebecca, You Don't Know Me, certain Discworld novels, and the obligatory Harry Potter. I am currently just finishing The Amulet of Samarkand, by Jonathon Stround.

I also have a fondness of plays (does this count here?). Feel free to..um...ask me anything, not really sure what else to put in an introductory post. Here is a picture of one of my much loved (and clearly overstuffed) bookcases - although the picture's a little old, it still looks the same, possibly weighted down with a few more books these days.

bookshelf001.jpg

Hello Jaya. There'll be a few on here who'd like the opportunity to rifle through your bookcase, I'm sure. There are many Discworld fans here and there is now a group dedicated to Terry Pratchet too, which you'll find under the heading 'social groups' in the User Control panel. I suspect you will fit in very well and enjoy the forum. We are a very friendly bunch. If you have any questions, just ask :smile2:

Catch you later,

Pp

:smile2: Jaya! Nice intro :D My Mum loves Freecell and is working her way through all numbers, starting from the end. Should keep her busy for a while. :lol:

I love young adult fiction as well. There is some excellent stuff out there. I have His Dark Materials and The Phantom Tollbooth on my wish list. Can't wait to read them. :roll:

Plays absolutely count here! We discuss poetry as well, and pretty much any writing that takes our fancy. What sort of plays do you like?

I love drooling over photos of other people's bookcases. Thanks for posting yours!

Welcome to the forum! My mom is absolutely addicted to Freecell and plays it for hours every day. Your bookcase looks a lot like one of mine. You'll definitely fit in here! :smile2:

Well, everyone seems nice and friendly but...why does everyone's mother like Freecell?

Plays absolutely count here! We discuss poetry as well, and pretty much any writing that takes our fancy. What sort of plays do you like?

I like several plays, and try and see plays whenever I can. Plays I've seen include Macbeth, Waiting For Godot, Hypochondriac, Woman In Black, Metamorphosis, His Dark Materials, Coram Boy, 'Tis Pity She's A 'lady of the night', Nathan the Wise*...and several others! I tend to like most I go to see to varying degrees - I just really like the theatre and find myself incredibly lucky to be in London, where there's so much to see. When it's not possible (or affordable :smile2:) to see a play, I'd have to settle for reading it. So plays I like but have not seen are mainly ones I've studied in school: Translations, An Inspector Calls, etc. I also like what plays I know of Shakespeare. :roll: I enjoyed most of the things I studied at school. Despite, a lot of people finding literature ruined by dissecting it, I didn't mind so much - although I only really started getting into it at A-Level (I did my A-Level in English Literature last year).

I like poetry as well! I won't bore you by starting another list - but I do write my own poetry (not seriously) more like nonsense-on-the-spot poetry, mainly for amusement's sake.

What are your favourite books? And...does this forum have a functioning IRC channel?

*...do musicals count? I think I prefer plays that aren't musicals... Chicago, We Will Rock You, Bombay Dreams, my list goes on for quite a while so I'd best stop.

Hi AngelOfBoox nice to meet you. You got here exactly the same way I did.

I went to see a Woman In Black last year. It's a great play, made even better by the audience screams :smile2: and I loved An Inspector Calls, which I studied in school, ahem, a few years ago now. I also love Shakespeare and have many of his on my shelf waiting to be read.

Look forward to chatting with you.

Thanks. I use this screen-name for age-old sake. It was created when I was about seven, hence the grievous changing of 'ks' to 'x'. :smile2: Anyhow, it's remained with me although people on the internet now know me as Jaya - which is my real name.

Hi Jaya and welcome to the forum. :smile2: What a lovely and unusual name.

Well, everyone seems nice and friendly but...why does everyone's mother like Freecell?

I used to be addicted to Freecell but haven't played it for ages. (Mind you, I am a Mum too!).

I like YA fiction (I've read Coram Boy and my son is currently doing it for drama at secondary school) and Rebecca is one of my favourite books of all time.

I also love plays and poetry too.

Ah, it doesn't work. Perhaps I need 10 posts before I can use it...?

You have enough now. :roll:

Anyway, have fun.

There are a few mums about. I was wondering what sort of average age this forum has.... I'd imagine a range - but there's got to be somewhere in the middle! I frequent another forum with a wide range of people but the average age is about 22. Also what's the male/female ratio? Lots of females about, as far as I can tell...

I read Coram Boy when my mother suggested it to me as it was up for...some prize, I forget which but I think it won. And I saw the National Theatre play for my 17th birthday :smile2:.

I read Coram Boy when my mother suggested it to me as it was up for...some prize, I forget which but I think it won. And I saw the National Theatre play for my 17th birthday :lol:.

I think it won the Whitbread Children's Book Award. :roll:

I love your avatar btw! :smile2:

Welcome to the forum, Jaya! :roll:

I like reading, wasting my time on IRC, and Freecell (which is like Solitaire, but involves skill).

I love Freecell! I decided to work my way through the games in order from beginning to end, but I got bored by the time I reached the 13,000s! I just play random games now. (I like Hearts too!)

I'm also a fan of His Dark Materials, Harry Potter and Terry Pratchett (as can be seen from my signature). I just have the final book left to read of the Jonathan Stroud trilogy.

Your bookcase is excellent, and I love your avatar! It made me laugh because it reminds me of me out shopping and I suddenly see a bookshop and veer off! :smile2: