Musicals

Inanna

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone seen the musical Wicked? I love it, the songs are awsome! Among other favourites are:

The Sound Of Music

Oliver

My Fair Lady

Wicked was the first musical I ever saw. I loved it and have seen it several times since.

Yes I've seen it twice and really want to go again but the theater is so expensive :D

I saw it once in the UK and I have flown down to Melbourne to see it a few times since. Having to pay for air fares, accommodation and tickets certainly makes it a costly exercise though. :)

I'd like to see Wicked, think I'd want to read it first though

I actually think that would kind of spoil it a little. It is the revelations throughout the show that make it so great IMO.

hmm but that would mean watching the show would spoil the book too surely?

Haha, I guess so.

I don't know, I just thought watching the show the first time was incredible. Remembering back on watching the Wizard of Oz as a young child and how everything tied together. I just thought that was pretty cool and I am guessing that if you read the book first you would be deprived of that.

I'd like to see Wicked, think I'd want to read it first though

I'm not really sure it matters either way (though admittedly I have only read the book and not yet managed to see the show), because apparently the show is quite different from the book in any case, i.e. not just cut here and there to a reasonable length but presenting significant differences in characterisation, plot-line etc.

Maguire said he loved the show so it's not a matter of it being unfaithful to the spirit of "Wicked" I think, more like they're two different incarnations of "Wicked" - much in the same way that "Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" underwent so many changes between radio, book and telly that each became an artistic entity in its own right.

• 8 months later...

I've only seen two musicals on stage and they are Wicked, and Beauty and the Beast. Wicked was the most recent and I loved it. I went with my friends and we got amazing seats I think we were about 3 rows back from the stage.

I've seen alot on film: Annie, Sweeny Todd, Chigao, Mamma Mia, the Diseny classics, The King and I, Little Shop of Horrors, Grease, and Hairspray. I watch the Little Mermaid so may times with my baby cousin and she remembers most of it. She started brushing her hair with a little play fork like Ariel and called a dinglehopper. My favorite is Sweeny Todd.Its also a book.

I've listen to two of the soundtracks and would like to see the musical: Avenue Q and Spring Awakening

:lol::D

Excellent one, Beccles!!

I posted in this thread over a year ago, but thought I'd come back again and list my fave musicals I've seen on stage :giggle:

Sunset Blvd

Beauty & the Beast

Phantom of the Opera

Miss Saigon

Les Miserables

Cats

Sound of Music

Showboat

The Secret Garden

Rent

Into the Woods

Man of La Mancha

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat

One of the best musicals I have ever seen on stage was Jeckle and Hyde. At first glance you wouldn't think the music would be that great but it was absolutely brilliant!

Some that I would love to see (or see again) are: Aida, Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, Annie and Rent.

West Side Story is on TV here today so I'll probably watch that. I've never seen it before. :(

Oooh now there's a good one! Did you watch it Kylie and if so, what did you think?

"When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way, from your first cigarette to your last dying day..."

I taped it and started watching it later, but it wasn't really appealing to me. I started skimming through it and then just couldn't be bothered. I thought it was a little dull, but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. :(

West Side Story is on TV here today so I'll probably watch that. I've never seen it before. :(

I love WSS - gorgeous Romeo and Juliet story, great music, great choreography - what's not to like?

I went to see a production of Chicago at the theatre earlier this month with my sister and it was awesome - Gary Wilmot was wonderful in it. :D

I went to see a production of Chicago at the theatre earlier this month with my sister and it was awesome - Gary Wilmot was wonderful in it.
I agree entirely - the only thing that irks me is that they felt the need to get pretty leads who couldn't sing and needed to be dubbed :( the all-singing all-dancing supporting cast could act (fact confirmed by the Oscars won by both Rita Moreno-Anita and George-Chakiris-Bernardo; Tucker Smith-Ice was also brilliant though Russ Tamblyn-Riff was my personal favourite, as I'd developed a crush on his younger self in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers) so surely they could have found some leads who could hold a tune.

Other than that, I love WSS and would die happy if I could see it on the stage. It's one of those musicals guaranteed to make me blubber every time, particularly at

A Boy Like That/I Have a Love - Maria's forgiveness of Tony for having killed her brother is poignant, and even more heartrending is Anita's understanding that her friend cannot help but love and stand by the killer of her own lover... when they sing 'When love comes so strong / There is no right or wrong / Your love is your love', it always sets me off

:D!

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it Kylie - I have friends who didn't like it either but then those same friends aren't moved by Romeo and Juliet, which forms the basis for the story; maybe therein lies the problem, it is representative of a view of love you don't subscribe to?

Edited by BookJumper

I haven't seen much musicals on stage yet, just the movie musicals. When I was a kid, I saw heaps of on stage ones though, but I hardly remember them. I often thought of the theatre as boring back then.

Musicals I have not seen often intrigue me though. I get the soundtrack instead, that's the closest I can get to watching Le Musicals. Therefore, I like the soundtracks of Wicked, A Chorus Line, Phantom of the Opera (FAVE), Sweeney Todd, Mamma Mia (ABBA!!), Next to Normal and countless other ones.

I really hate how Broadway isn't really a big thing in Australia. I wanna go to New York or wherever just to see all those awesome Broadway musicals. LITTLE MERMAID! D: Lion King.. Only in my dreams, sire.