Musicals

Inanna

I adore PotO, it IS my favourite musical and one of my favourite stories in general.

Yay, mine too!!!

Which is why I hope he will write a really good sequel, worthy of the story so far :lol:

PS (off-topic): Roxi, have you read Phantom by Susan Kay? If not, you absolutely must! It's the full story of Erik's life, and it is very good, I stayed up a few nights to finish it, it captivated me that much :)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I haven't actually, I've heard about it but I've heard there were a few related stories by different authors - I was reluctant because obviously they're written by unrelated people as far as I'm aware.

I would love to read it though!

• 2 months later...

I love Phantom of the Opera and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I can play most of the Phantom songs on the piano, and I can recite the lyrics to every song from Joseph. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

Wicked would be my favourite. I first saw it in London when I was over in the UK on holiday and I have seen the Australian production 4 times down in Melbourne.

My other favourites are RENT, Spamalot, Spring Awakening, Jesus Christ Superstar and Phantom of the Opera.

Ooh, great question!

My personal favourite is Stephen Sondheim's A Little Night Music, although that's not perhaps a "musical" in the traditionally-understood sense (but it's still wonderful!).

In the "song and dance" stakes, though, it's hard to choose one, but the three classics in my book are West Side Story, Oliver and, perhaps the greatest of all, South Pacific. All have great storylines (watch out for those lads Shakespeare and Dickens - I reckon they're going places :lol:) and memorable tunes.

(watch out for those lads Shakespeare and Dickens - I reckon they're going places :lol:)

LOL.

My other favourites include West Side, Phantom, Jesus Christ Superstar, Singing in the Rain, Across the Universe (let's pretend it counts *ahem*).

Yes, I also agree! :D. I find them cringeworthy to watch either on TV or in the cinema. I went and watched Mamma Mia! with my sisters and mum, and was cringing all the way through it.

However, I do love Grease and The Sound of Music :D

I love the Sound of Music too :haha:

And I was cringing ALL THE WAY through Mamma Mia when I saw it!

I love the sound of music as a kid. My fave musical would be phantom of the opera and I really want to see the woman in white. I was so close to seeing lord of the rings in london but it never happened sadly. :D

I have to agree Mama Mia is cringe worthy. My family were watching it at xmas and I was in a different room and my skin crawled when I heard it. :haha: My bf is addicted to Les miserables - got the book, soundtrack and seen it few times I have yet to see it.

My bf is addicted to Les miserables - got the book, soundtrack and seen it few times I have yet to see it.

Next time he goes, do join - please? So worth it... such a beautiful story, so beautifully told. You might not sob quite as loudly as I did, but I defy you to see that and not leave without the tiniest grain of sand in your eye.

Next time he goes, do join - please? So worth it... such a beautiful story, so beautifully told. You might not sob quite as loudly as I did, but I defy you to see that and not leave without the tiniest grain of sand in your eye.

Oh I do plan on :D I just don't know when the next time will be, hopefully soon. :haha: Hopefully I won't sob but from the sounds of it I will most prob shed a tear.

My fav of all time is Blood Brothers - I see it at least once a year and never get bored of it!

I also like:

Rocky Horror

Chicago (film, not stage version as I didn't enjoy it when I saw it last yr!)

Hairspray

Singing in the Rain

Bugsy Malone

I love them all!

Rocky Horror

Hairspray

Singing in the Rain

Rocky Horror I used to see at least once a year back home, it was glorious to see live. Once went to see it on Halloween so me and my mates were all dressed up but in Halloween rather than Rocky Horror outfits - I was Death, with a pretty big and realistic scythe. Surprising they let me in the theatre, really.

Hairspray is definitely on the list to see onstage, if only because Michael "Marius" Ball is playing the mum and I want to pester him for his autograph!

Singing in the Rain is one of my favourite films of all time, period. Especially the diction classes bit - "Moses supposes his toeses are roses but Moses supposes erroneously, Moses he knowses his toeses aren't roses, as Moses supposes his toeses to be" LOL and of course, "Eeend I cen't stan' 'im!"

Rocky Horror I used to see at least once a year back home, it was glorious to see live. Once went to see it on Halloween so me and my mates were all dressed up but in Halloween rather than Rocky Horror outfits - I was Death, with a pretty big and realistic scythe. Surprising they let me in the theatre, really.

Hairspray is definitely on the list to see onstage, if only because Michael "Marius" Ball is playing the mum and I want to pester him for his autograph!

Singing in the Rain is one of my favourite films of all time, period. Especially the diction classes bit - "Moses supposes his toeses are roses but Moses supposes erroneously, Moses he knowses his toeses aren't roses, as Moses supposes his toeses to be" LOL and of course, "Eeend I cen't stan' 'im!"

ahhhh - I am going to have that in my head all day now!! I loooooove Singing in the Rain. I like the dance routine to "good Mornin" where they step over the sofa - classic.

Haven't seen Hairspray with Michael Ball. I did see them perform the finale number on the tv the other day and it looked amazing. The girl from Emerdale is playing Penny now I think.

Rocky Horror is great. I really love the soundtrack.

I saw a kind of musical performance involving character's from the film 'Beetlejuice' once in Florida at i think MGM Studios or Universal, it was really great and fun :)

I have to be in the mood for one, the one's i've seen that I like:

Jesus Christ Superstar

Quadrophenia

Kismet

Singing in the Rain

Scrooge (1971)

Rocky Horror

Across the Universe

There are a few more. But I can't just watch them at any time. Sometimes they are annoying.

I find musical OSTs are great to listen & create to - it's like working with music on, just the music's got a more unified structure than usual... I find this can be very conducive to bouts of inspiration, because you find yourself as it were surrounded by narrative. So when I sit down to write I usually stick on Les Mis, Jesus Christ, Phantom and their power of story helps my stories... if that makes sense?