Being Emily by Anne Donovan

Lilywhite

BEING EMILY BY ANNE DONOVAN

ISBN: 978 1 84767 044 1

312 Pages

Synopsis from the back of the book

Things are never dull in the O’Connell family. Still, Fiona, squeezed between her quiet brother and her mischievous line-dancing twin sisters, thinks life in their tenement flat is far less interesting than Emily Bronte’s.

But tragedy is not confined to Victorian novels. And life for Fiona in this happy domestic set-up is about to change forever. Following the devastating events of a single day, her family can never be the same. But – perhaps- new relationships will develop, built on a solid foundation of love.

Moving, funny and ultimately heart-warming, Being Emily is a wonderful novel about one young girl trying to find her place in the world amid the turmoil that only your own family can create.

My view

Written in the Scottish dialect, this is quite difficult to get into but after the first couple of pages the writing starts to flow and it gives the book a much more familiar feel. Although the book seems centred around one particular event, I feel the story generates outwards in many directions. It deals with many issues in its progression, none of them overtly, and is very subtle with the conclusions.

The main character, Fiona, is as likeable as you can get. The many trials and tribulations she experiences throughout the book can be mirrored the world over. We can all sympathise with at least one of her problems if not more, and it’s a genuine understanding of what she is experiencing, that makes her come to life.

An easy to read story about the harsh realities of the real world, as witnessed through the eyes of a down to earth student from Glasgow.

This an Early Reviewer book from Library Thing and I will arrange for it to go on a book ring soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sedgewick

I was reading the Metro this morning and the reviewer there gave it two stars. Pretty much said it was schmaltzy, with characters surrounding Emily not being up to much at all.

Shows what they know then, the main character is called Fiona :D

The point of the book isn't really the other characters, it's the effect their actions have on Fiona and the growing pains of being a teenager forced to deal with more than most. Stronger surrounding characters could possibly have detracted from the quiet introvert that she is.

Guest Sedgewick
Shows what they know then, the main character is called Fiona :D

Sorry, my bad. I've just put Emily's name in since it was in my head.

I was wondering if anyone else has read this one yet? I'm interested to know what other people thought of the dialect used throughout. Was I the only one to find it difficult to read and translate at the beginning and does it make it any easier if you are Scottish/Glaswegian?

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished reading this and I agree the scottish dialect was a bit of a struggle to begin with but after the first few pages as I got used to it the story started to flow. I quite enjoyed this book.