Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finished! I am really proud of myself, I did not think I would enjoy it as much as I did, but it was a brilliant book, the characters where amazing! What a cool book! xx:D

• 11 months later...

I loved this book when I read it a couple of years ago. I read it in about 10 days, and it had me completely hooked throughout, despite the weight of it! I can understand why it puts off a lot of people, not just the length, but the footnotes are sometimes a bit daunting, but it is worth it! I know a lot of my reading group often complain that the books we are given are too long, and for the most part I agree, and actually think those books actually need editing to make them better, but in the case of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell I didn't feel there was anything unnecessary and I loved the detail of the footnotes in expanding the myths and legends of the story.

I'm not a massive fan of fantasy, but the historical setting and the humour of the writing, along with an interesting cover to make me pick it up in the first place, meant I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have had this book for years now, i remember buying it from Waterstones thinking like hmm, this sounds quite interesting, but never got around to beginning it. I shall have to dig it out!

• 1 month later...

It took me so long to finally read 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' but it was well worth it, I really enjoyed it, a brilliant story :D

It's true...It feels like she were a XIX cent. writer: she has something of Austen in her veiled social critic, in her sharp clever phrases which highlight in few words a whole character.

Regarding the footnotes, these are amazing, as if they were short stories attached to the main novel, adding layers on layers of magic to the novel, as magic mirrors which help the reader entering misterious worlds.

I'm excited to read this now after reading these last few pages of comments! I bought it for only .50 at my library book sale a couple of weekends ago and now am glad I know what I'm going to read after my next book. :)

I'm excited to read this now after reading these last few pages of comments! I bought it for only .50 at my library book sale a couple of weekends ago and now am glad I know what I'm going to read after my next book. :)

Let me know what you think when you finish it.

• 1 month later...

I really started to dislike the book because of it's length and sometimes dreary sentences. The footnotes were really good, but it was still a tough read.

When i finally finished it, i was so happy i read it! The ending was worth everything.