Guest Anonymous

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Princess! :readingtwo:

Well I almost gave up on it and I was getting all frustrated.

7.gif

Then it got really interesting and I am now hooked. Princess, I will most certainly let you know when I get to the end of Chapter 22.

:readingtwo:

I've read this book - and it took me a month!!! But it was worth it. I think Ms Clarke was really generous to put so much into one book when she could have had the story as a series of books - there is so much in there. It is touching and moving and stirring and spooky and clever and inspired writing all in one. Very original and with humour and mystery as well. So much packed in. Persevere, persevere! :readingtwo:

I've read this book - and it took me a month!!! But it was worth it. I think Ms Clarke was really generous to put so much into one book when she could have had the story as a series of books - there is so much in there. It is touching and moving and stirring and spooky and clever and inspired writing all in one. Very original and with humour and mystery as well. So much packed in. Persevere, persevere! :readingtwo:

Will do Tammy, thank you! :readingtwo:

I totally agree Tammy! ..and Paula I'm so glad you're hooked!! It just reaches that one point and you can't put it down.. from the middle of the second volume I read it non-stop!

I will keep you informed Princess! I am still trying to work out the characters, I know that sounds odd. x

It doesn't sound odd at all! The characters are very rich and complicated, it does take a while to figure them out, their motivations and quirks; it's one of the great things about the book.

love your new avatar! he doesn't look so happy to have that gift though, I could take it off his hands! xx I'm wanting a new hobbes christmas avatar, cant' find one! never mind, maybe I'll just plop a santa hat on this one! :readingtwo:

Thanks Princess, yeah he does not look too cheery, but anime dudes rarely do. :readingtwo:

I was about to start a second book today, but I have decided to concentrate on 'Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell'.

Check your PM real soon Princess, I may have found you an avatar. x

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good, Hi MarkMark!, we get through this book together:lol:

I am really enjoying it, but it is proving pointless to read it in work, I try to but someone always asked me to do something or look for something, so I am reading on the bus.

I have not made a big impact reading it, I just finished the part with Jonathon's Father, and can I just say,

Lawrence (I hope that is name) is a total berk!

Lol!! That is true! xx

I quite like Mr Norrell too, he is quite funny, I was laughing away on the bus and everyone was looking at me. :(

Are you glad you persevered with it, WillowFae? I read it a few years ago, and I think I struggled a little with some parts but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love Susannah Clarke's writing style. I remember there were certain little phrases/descriptions that I thought were just brilliant.

Yeah. I'm trying to read a whole chapter each time I pick it up if I can... It's speeding up a lot for me now. I find the more I read it, especially after Jonathan is in it more, it becomes pretty compelling. Lots of potential friction. The amount of possibilities are intriguing me...

So far so good, Hi MarkMark!, we get through this book together:lol:

I am really enjoying it, but it is proving pointless to read it in work, I try to but someone always asked me to do something or look for something, so I am reading on the bus.

I have not made a big impact reading it, I just finished the part with Jonathon's Father, and can I just say,

Lawrence (I hope that is name) is a total berk!

hello princessponti, hello people!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah! Just finished it this morning. Am glad I stuck with it. I think it's a little longer than it needs to be, the pace dipping somewhat in places, but overall highly enjoyable and imaginative. I thought the footnotes were generally interesting, but disrupted the flow of the narrative a bit too much at points.

How are you getting on with it Gyre?

Yay! Go Gyre! :lol:

Are you reading the all-in-one version or do you have the three separate volumes?

Hi Kylie, how are you?

I have the all in one version which made my last bag rip ;) so I am just carrying it now. Really enjoying it so far. x

Yeah! Just finished it this morning. Am glad I stuck with it. I think it's a little longer than it needs to be, the pace dipping somewhat in places, but overall highly enjoyable and imaginative. I thought the footnotes were generally interesting, but disrupted the flow of the narrative a bit too much at points.

How are you getting on with it Gyre?

Hi Markmark

How are you?

Glad to hear you finished it, well done you!

3.gif

I have just started part 2, I was pretty lapsed in reading it because I got caught up with 'Anansi Boys' by Neil Gaiman, but I am now concentrating on our magical boys :lol:

Hi Markmark

I have just started part 2, I was pretty lapsed in reading it because I got caught up with 'Anansi Boys' by Neil Gaiman, but I am now concentrating on our magical boys :lol:

Good luck with the rest of it!

I might read some Neil Gaiman soon... my brother seems to have devoured everything he's written, which is always a good sign.

I'm reading Mr Mee by Andrew Crumey now. It's got another fussy old academic in it! Although he's trying to get to grips with the internet, so it's not quite the same...

Good luck with the rest of it!

I might read some Neil Gaiman soon... my brother seems to have devoured everything he's written, which is always a good sign.

I'm reading Mr Mee by Andrew Crumey now. It's got another fussy old academic in it! Although he's trying to get to grips with the internet, so it's not quite the same...

A fussy old academic is a fussy old academic whatever the time period!:lol: