Do you keep your books?

Michelle

At the moment I keep everything, because I'm still building my collection. But I'm sure at some point I'll start sorting through and kepping only those which I enjoyed/ have sentimental value.

I don't mind lending my books (to people whom I trust will return and take care of them), but there haven't been many opportunities for that.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to keep them all. Everything. But I moved in with the GF, and we had very little space, so the books were just kept in boxes in the shed.

In the end it became obvious that I just didn't need them. I never went back to (most of) them. I never cared that I couldn't see them.

So, now all the novels, with perhaps 5 exceptions, have either been given to friends or to charity.

If I ever really feel the need to read a book again, I don't mind buying it again. Because it will almost inevitably have been more than 5 years since I last read it.

The only books I now keep are non-fiction: travel writing, history, science, politics, food as well as, of course, guide books and cookery books.

I have three sections to my books:

1. Permanent Collection

I collect books by certain authors - entire series (Terry Pratchett, Simon Scarrow, Kelley Armstrong to name a few) and keep them all together. I also collect autographed copies and some proofs/ARCs. hese have all been read at least once and more often than not, multiple times

2. For Sale/Swap

If I've read a book I know I won't read again and isn't going to be part of my permanent collection, it gets listed for sale on Green Metropolis or for swap on Book Mooch. I also swap books in person with a few friends or pass some on to my sister who has only just got into reading a few years back and is still building her tastes and collection.

3. Mount To Be Read

These are all the books I own but have not yet read. Some will become part of my Permanent Collection, but most of them will be Sold or Swapped. So-called Mount To Be Read because there's literally a mountain of books (I have over 100 at the moment andthe number just keeps on growing!).

Yep this is pretty much my system, if I don't think I'll read a book again I'll either swap or give it away.

I keep them. I've become a lending library for my friends. They ask if I have a certain book, I lend it to them, they read it and give it back. I've never thrown a book out or swapped. I really need to give some to the local library or sell them or something, because it is getting a little out of hand. 4 book shelves of books is quite a bit...no?

I like to keep all the books I read so I buy my books instead of going to the library, I have a big collection so my OH is going to build me a bigger bookcase :lurker:. I'm a bit funny about lending anyone my books in case they get damaged or lost ;). I would never throw out or sell a book even if I didn't enjoy it.

Edited by SweetiiPie85

I try to keep all my books, I only lend out books to people who I know will look after them and I'm sure I'll get them back in good order. I only give them away if I'm sure the person will really like them. I'm trying to build up my collection of books again, I lost a couple of cartons of books when moving a few years ago, I was devastated! I want to devote a whole corner of my living room to my books ... must remember to tell OH :lurker:

But it got me thinking. What do you guys do with your books? Do you keep them? Do you collect? Do you trade/swap? Do you lend them out? Do you go to the library?

Ok discuss. . . :D

I keep them for the most part, I have gotten rid of a few boxes of books by authors that I read years ago and am no longer interested in, or don't like anymore for whatever reason, but even some of that type I have kept because I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of them. ;)

I dislike lending books, as it bothers me when I don't get them back, and somehow I can't think of the delinquent borrower in the same light as before. I hate having to ask for the book back, but will at least once and if I don't get it back, which has happened, I just purchase a new copy and try not to think evil thoughts about that person. :lurker::)

I have on occasion accidentally duplicated purchases, and those I will gladly give away to friends that I know will enjoy and take care of them.

Books that have given me something back in return for reading them I will never part from -

Absolutely!

I have 'The Bookshelf' which keeps the books that mean something, some were not even good books but ones which friends/ family have given me and left a personal message in the inside cover. Some signed books too and the ones that I Can read over again. I do sell a fair few on ebay. Any that I want to part with and bought from a charity shop I always give back to the charity shop that I BOUGHT them FROM so they can resell them.

I cannot stand keeping things unless they will be used. Some books i keep but there has to be a very good reason. I'm quite hard with myself over things like that. I have to be really as my husband would keep everything he ever had if i let him!

I keep anything I enjoyed and think I might re-read. I get rid of anything I don't think I'll re-read though, usually I put it on bookmooch or bookcross it. If I'm unsure I might put it as a bookring first so I can see how I feel about not having it

If I don't think I'll re-read a book and it has no sentimental value (like it was a gift from a family member or once belonged to a passed-on relative), I'll either bring it to my volunteer group where we pack boxes for soldiers or I'll bring them to the local 1/2 Price Books to sell them. I too don't really like hanging onto things unless they can be used. If I truly disliked a book and it was a gift from a loved one I guess I would hang onto it for a little bit longer but eventually my need for space would probably force me to get rid of those too :motz:.

i have no more room now so I am slowly going through my books, oui, and sadly, giving away that which is not really precious to me or not a first or second edition. I am a minimalist in certain areas of my life and feel a wreck with too many things. It is hard,like giving away a member of the family, but on the other hand I give them to people who will treasure them.

I keep all my books except the ones that I didn't like and know I'll never read them again. I usually take those to a charityshop or give away to friends if I know they'll like them. I wouldn't mind sharing more here as well but most of my books that I'm giving away have been in Finnish so no good to you guys.

I keep most books I buy, unless they're really outdated, like some history books which were written before there was better and newer information available. I threw those away, since giving them away would make someone else read the wrong or the incomplete information while there is something better and more complete available.

Other books I gave away after I became less interested in those topics. I also gave away and threw away books which I didn't like at all, but that rarely happens, because mostly I try to buy something that will really interest or amuse me.

Most books I gave away were childrens books when my children became a bit older and stopped liking those books or were simply too old for those.

I did however once in my life throw away a book I liked:

About two years ago, I had found a book I enjoyed as a teenager and had nearly finished, but then the holidays were ended and my parents didn't like me to read when I went to school. They thought the books would "take my mind off of the important subjects to learn at school". So I had to take that book back to the library without knowing what else happened and how it ended. After many discussions, my parents did start allowing me to continue to read even after holidays. I made sure my grades were fine so they wouldn't start prohibiting my going to the library again.

Anyway, I've often thought about reading that unfinished book someday again to finish it, 'A brave new world' by Aldous Huxley. Then I found it in our local library about two years ago, for sale, it wasn't even a translation, luckily Huxleys own words. I was excited and wanted to buy it. But the lady of the library didn't want to sell it, but told me I could take it home and keep it. The way she said it though and her entire attitude were annoying to me, so at home, I threw the book away and decided to wait for another chance to buy it if I could afford it. Still haven't read it. It's one of those books I want to reread and this time finish.

If I like/love the book I'll keep it .. if it's disappointing or I hate it then the charity shop gets it (which is not very charitable but there you go).

Like you Lissy, I always think I might want to read a book again if I enjoyed it .. usually I don't get around to it (there's always a nice shiny new book) but sometimes I do.

I don't mind lending books to friends/family but i do get a bit anxious about whether they'll return it or not and even as I hand it over there's always a moment when I want to snatch it back off them and hide it.

I have recently passed on 5 books to my friend to read and she has enjoyed them all so far, but she will be returning them and have to think about what to do with them after that.

I very very rarely get rid of books. There's been a couple that I absolutely know I would not read and a couple I read but wouldn't ever read them again. Lately the ones I have got rid of are ones I have bought better copies of (Sense And Sensibility and Jane Eyre come to mind).

Even though my books are overtaking my room and I have nowhere to put them I couldn't bare to part with them (and you can gurantee I would want to read the one's I give away :)) I love being able to go and re-read a book or specific part at any time I wish.

I only ever lend my books to my sisters or my mum and even them I'm "When can I have my book back??!!" and give them a bookmark so they don't feel the need to bend the corners.

I never get rid of any books at all, i am too attached to such possessions, there is a magic reserved in books, they are not just physical items to me, they hold very special power inside :)

I strictly keep all fiction books. In fact, I hate not owning the fiction that I read; I am therefore very reluctant to borrow books, or borrow from libraries: if I do however, I try always try to buy the book.

Some non-fiction I will discard, usually by moving it into the attic; however books by Chomsky and the like I like to hang on to.