Do you keep your books?

Michelle

I also used to keep most of my books but I am running out of space. Though I got some new bookshelves recently, that didn't help much. I could do with an additional room...

I've also still quite a lot of the books I used to read when I was a child. I kept them because I loved them so much and because I thought I can give them to my children sometime. But now, we do have the new German spelling since 2006 and I don't know whether I should give books to children when the spelling is 'not correct'. I wouldn't bother about giving these books to teenagers but for younger children who are still learning how to write correctly I'm afraid this might be confusing. I do not have any children yet so I have some time to think about this (though I'm pretty sure that - whatever my decision about handing on these books is - I will always keep my books :lol:

Ok, back to the beginning of my post...

As I am running out of space I started sorting my books. I'm keeping all the books I just loved and all of which I think that friends might like to lend them or guests can read them while staying with us.

I also keep books of which I think they are a must have for whatever reason (classics, non-fiction books, because I already have other books of that author and it just looks better when there are more books standing next to eachother...)

Books which I didn't enjoy at all have a bookshelf of their own and when this shelf is full I carry them to a second-hand bookshop or a charity shop.

I just did so at the beginning of December but there were some books they didn't want :) and so I carried them back and do not know what to do with them. I can't throw them away!

So all in all I have difficulties reducing the number of books because I'm quite good at finding reasons for keeping them :) or because I do not know how to get rid of them (shouldn't tell this my husband - he wouldn't have any difficulties throwing them away).

I guess I also should point out to my husband that I have some books two or even three times just because I liked the cover so much or because one of the books has a great preface...:)

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a thread for this already, I apologize.

I was talking to my Dad today on the phone. He is an avid reader, so we began discussing books. He told me about some books he had read and mentioned the idea that we should exchange books. He lives ten hours away, but my parents are coming to visit in August. He told me he would bring down some books for me and asked if he could sift through my already read pile. I agreed.

However,

I love my books. To me they are a collection. Even though I have read them, I still like knowing the fact that I have them. That is way I have never been a library kinda guy lol. I have no objections giving them away to my father as I know he will take good care of them and will return them.

But it got me thinking. What do you guys do with your books? Do you keep them? Do you collect? Do you trade/swap? Do you lend them out? Do you go to the library?

Ok discuss. . . ;)

I have a selection of books I will never let go! I may elect to be buried with them!

Others I pass on either as a lend or a giveaway. Specific books are given to specific people, the rest I offer out, or take to my local charity shop.

Books that have given me something back in return for reading them I will never part from - I've got two shelves full of such books at my parents' house back in Italy, ready to be collected and shipped to wherever I settle down, whenever I settle down - and one shelf here in London, a good half of which has followed me from my three years in Liverpool.

Books which leave me entertained but not deeply affected I am in no hurry to get rid of, although I will charity shop or bookcross them (not officially; I hate the thought of writing in books or, even worse, putting bright yellow stickers in them) when the shelf is about to get full or I am in the process of moving house yet again - right now is a good example. Books I can't finish for whatever reason used meet the same end, although since I've discovered BCF I've been posting them up for swap here first.

ETA: I very rarely if ever lend books, as I know from first-hand experience they can be very hard for the borrower to return; also I need to know my books are in the hand of a booklover who will treat them with the same care I do. I can count those trusted booklovers on less than one hand.

I keep all of my books. I'm like you in that I feel like they're part of a collection, it's the same with my DVD's. I wouldn't get rid of a book, even if I didn't like it :) Therefore I have hundreds of books and nowhere to put them ;)

My book collection is small enough (a bookcase and two bookshelves) that I can actually keep it all, which is nice. I'd only ever give away books I really really hated, as I like to read most books more than once.

I keep all my books. I used to go to the library and get my books there but since I couldn't find new books or interesting ones that I hadn't read before I started collecting books.

I've always said I wanted a library of my own. And from recent events (a friend borrowed a book and i got it back in shreds) I never give anyone one of my books again.

I am now at a healthy 316 books and I'm starting to have a storage shortage.

I keep all of my books. I'm like you in that I feel like they're part of a collection, it's the same with my DVD's. I wouldn't get rid of a book, even if I didn't like it :) Therefore I have hundreds of books and nowhere to put them ;)

I am the same way. My DVD collection and book collection will have to fight for space soon!

I am the same way. My DVD collection and book collection will have to fight for space soon!

Yeah that's true. As much as I love my books, I must have 5 DVDs for every book so you can imagine how many I have.

I'm thinking of having a sort and making myself get rid of some books. I'll take them to a charity shop because I keep them in good condition.

But it got me thinking. What do you guys do with your books? Do you keep them? Do you collect? Do you trade/swap? Do you lend them out? Do you go to the library?

I keep all of my books. I once got a box together full of books I didn't want to keep. It sat around for a few months until I decided I didn't want to part with them (knowing full well that I probably wouldn't ever read them). They're now mostly back on my shelves. :)

I tend not to lend my books out because I just don't trust others to look after them the way I do.

And I never use the library. While I love buying second-hand books, there's something about those well-worn, plastic-covered library books that puts me off a little.

Mine are almost battling. In fact, I took the initiative tonight and put 5 of my Simpsons boxsets on ebay, partly because I'll never get around to watching them, partly to create space for books, and partly for the extra cash! ;)

I have three sections to my books:

1. Permanent Collection

I collect books by certain authors - entire series (Terry Pratchett, Simon Scarrow, Kelley Armstrong to name a few) and keep them all together. I also collect autographed copies and some proofs/ARCs. hese have all been read at least once and more often than not, multiple times,

2. For Sale/Swap

If I've read a book I know I won't read again and isn't going to be part of my permanent collection, it gets listed for sale on Green Metropolis or for swap on Book Mooch. I also swap books in person with a few friends or pass some on to my sister who has only just got into reading a few years back and is still building her tastes and collection.

3. Mount To Be Read

These are all the books I own but have not yet read. Some will become part of my Permanent Collection, but most of them will be Sold or Swapped. So-called Mount To Be Read because there's literally a mountain of books (I have over 100 at the moment andthe number just keeps on growing!).

I keep most of the books I read, but we have hundreds of books (shelves full in every room in the house, plus boxes in the loft) and it's just not practical to keep every single book. If I didn't like a book, or if I don't think I'll ever read it again, then it will go to a charity shop. Every now and again, I'll have to revisit some shelves and try and clear some extra books out, so that I can fit more in - this is usually when the book shelves not only have the books on them stood up as normal, but also have books piled on top of these as well.

1. Permanent Collection

I collect books by certain authors - entire series (Terry Pratchett, Simon Scarrow, Kelley Armstrong to name a few) and keep them all together. I also collect autographed copies and some proofs/ARCs. hese have all been read at least once and more often than not, multiple times,

2. For Sale/Swap

If I've read a book I know I won't read again and isn't going to be part of my permanent collection, it gets listed for sale on Green Metropolis or for swap on Book Mooch. I also swap books in person with a few friends or pass some on to my sister who has only just got into reading a few years back and is still building her tastes and collection.

3. Mount To Be Read

These are all the books I own but have not yet read. Some will become part of my Permanent Collection, but most of them will be Sold or Swapped. So-called Mount To Be Read because there's literally a mountain of books (I have over 100 at the moment andthe number just keeps on growing!).

That's pretty much word-for-word exactly what I do. My permanent collection generally only consists of my Harry Potter's, my Jane Austen's, & classics like 'To Kill A Mockingbird'.

I'll lend my books to anyone. Books are meant to be shared & enjoyed. Generally though only a couple of my friends read so they don't get borrowed a whole lot. But I know that they would do the same for me.

I sell most of my other books on Amazon, or since I've joined up to this forum, swap books. I've only been here about a week & I've done a swap already.

I'm completely the opposite to a hoarder - I'm a total minimalist & pretty obsessive when it comes to keeping things neat & tidy.

I keep all books, whether I enjoyed them or not. Im slowly building my own library haha.

I hardly ever lend out my books. Im so protective of them. I will allow my closest friends to borrow them because I -know- they will treat them well.

As for the library, I haven't been in years. They never had what I was looking for.

I don't know anyone who reads, so I don't have anyone irl to lend to. I can't really afford to do a lot of bookrings either. I posted a book to England today and it cost me €7!! Come to think of it, I posted the same book to someone else and I'm sure it didn't cost that much... but what can you do.

I used to keep all my books, but when our book collection became unmanageable, we decided to donate a large chunk. We had a lot of books that people had given to us that we had no interest in, so those were easy to get rid of, but I also find that I have to be pretty brutal with myself. I'm a big re-reader, so there a lot of books I read over and over, so those I'll always keep. Some have sentimental value, and some, of course, are a part of my TBR pile.

We recently donated about 150 books to a charity that works with children and adult literacy programs. When I know that my books are going to a good cause, I have no problem giving them up.

I like being surrounded by books, so I tend to collect every book I can get my hands on. I have, however, recently parted - reluctantly - with quite a few, mainly because they didn't make such a big impact on me or because I knew I would never read/finish them... and I was running out of bookshelf space. :)

I am very cautious about lending my books to others. I've lent a book to my cousin and she never returned it to me - I had to "steal" it from her bookshelf while visiting her once, and the book was in a much worse state than when it had left me. ;) That has made me think twice about lending out my books. I will on the odd occasion let my sister read one of my books. But only because we live in the same house and I can keep an eye on her...

I also like to have my books around me and rarely have a clear out. I like to see what I've read and usually end up re-reading a lot of them. Even if I've borrowed a book from a friend I'll end up buying myself a copy a few months down the line.

I have a few shelves in the lounge which house my favourite books that I'd just never dream of parting with (Chuck Palahniuk collection, a few Irvine Welsh books, Harry Potter Books, Twilight books, a few Dickens and other classics and 3 or 4 Neil Gaiman books).

In the spare room I have a book case which contains all of the other books I own and I've had to start to double up on a few shelves. I've no idea what I'll do when I run out of space.....eeeek! I'd love to have my own library :)

A friend of mine came over the other week and saw my Twilight books. She hadn't read them and asked if she could borrow my copy of Twilight. I couldn't say no as I'd seem crazy so now my lounge collection has a gap! It looks like a missing tooth! ;)

I find it very hard to part with books and am very careful who I lend out to as well. In the past I've been stung where I've lent out a book and it never returned.Now I'll keep a record of who has what and for how long. I also have a need to keep everything I've ever read (I still have my whole collection of sweet valley twins books) hence the reason I don't borrow books I'll just go and buy it.;)

1. Permanent Collection

2. For Sale/Swap

3. Mount To Be Read

I really like this way of handling books. I might have to adopt this system :lurker: