Do you keep your books?

Michelle

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to keep all my P G Wodehouses because they're the kind of thing you can read again - it's also quite difficult to get hold of some of them. After that, I'll probably keep books that were presents, and others I tend to not keep. One book I've often regreted not keeping was the Drones Omnibus by Wodehouse - I gave it to Oxfam. While I know that that's a good cause, it had a pretty big crease down the spine, and I often think that they probably didn't put it out for sale anyway.

I also saw the exacty same edition on Amazon the other day selling used for

• 1 month later...

Once I've read a book, I keep hold of it in case anyone I know wants to read it - that way I can either lend or swap with them. Books that I haven't got a hope of someone wanting I take it down to the local charity shops.

I only ever keep books if I have enjoyed them so much that I would want to read again, or if the book means a lot to me, for example... a very good friend of mind gave me his copy of The Woman in White in which he wrote a special message for me. Even if I end up not liking the book, I'll still keep hold of it for as long as possible.

• 4 months later...

I keep more than giveaway.

If I've really enjoyed a book (or if it seems something to me), I hang onto them. I like seeing them around - mainly on my bookshelves, but they're normally hanging around on tables as well...

But I'm certainly not averse to giving them away, as you will see here :friends0: In fact, I like to re-home them: it's nice to think a book is wanted :)

I have this dream of creating a library of one's own. But as it's probably going to be a good while before I have a place completely on my own, the 'library' will only get bigger and bigger and bigger!

I am pretty loose about it. In general, they pile up until I give them to my local library or some charity. I won't re-read very many mysteries and I run through them quite often.

However, like most; I keep many to re-read.

Some of my favorite books have been used books that were gifts, "here, you need to read this" or "this is what we were talking about the other day" - examples are:

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

The World According to Garp

The Illuminatus!

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

The Stand

Sho-Gun

As you can see, I have some really good friends!

I keep all my books unless they're really bad. I'm running out of bookcase space though. Borrowing from the library helps which is where I get most of my books from nowadays - if something stands out then I will buy my own copy. I also tend to buy my own copies of 19th century literature - in particular I am collecting the Rougon-Macquart cycle by Emile Zola.

Most of the books I read I keep as I tend to collect books from my favourite authors, and will read them again in the future, plus I have become a bit of a library for my friends who borrow regularly.. Of course they have to promise to look after them and not fold the pages! :friends0:

Sorry to sound dumb, but what's this Green Met? :)
Green Metropolis is a site where you can list the books you no longer want for sale and buy others very cheaply. For each sale, 5p is donated to the Woodland Trust, 70p goes to the running of the site and the rest goes to the seller (books are listed at £3.75 each - the seller pays postage on paperbacks, but can add a small amount to eh price of hardbacks to cover postage costs).

There are thousands of books listed and it's the place I tend to check first when I am after a new book for reading circle as there are often several copies of books available, especially if they're popular ones. Then, when I'm done, I list them for resale. :friends0:

And you don't sound dumb at all - nobody should ever be made to feel dumb here just for asking a question. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...