Do you keep your books?

Michelle

I swap books with my mum and dad they are avid readers too so when ever we visit I go to them with a bag of books and inevitably come back with my bag full again lol they in turn pass books onto my nan who then passes them on again so they go around in circles lol

Having said that I have two 8 shelved bookcases constantly full in the front room PLUS the 8 shelved bookcase in my room :D

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too, I find it hard to part with them.

On that note, I still have many of my books from childhood and was recently recently shocked to see how much a George Newnes edition of "William The Lawless" by Richmal Crompton can fetch. I may part with that one :D

I was just rooting through my room in my parent's house (which is basically a storage room with a bed) and I found my Leaving Cert poetry book (exams done in Ireland at 17/18 years which determine entry into uni). It's got a selection of poems from Emily Dickenson and William Wordsworth as well as various Irish poets I love (Seamus Heaney, W. B. Yeats) and critical commentaries on each poem at the end. I'll have fun reading through these again :D I got an A1 (95-100%) in Honours English in my Leaving Cert, so you can imagine I was really really into it :D

It's interesting because I was contemplating going through the shelves to find some that I might not mind parting with. It would be the first time passing my novels on, but it needs to be done so that more space can be gained. I'll see how it goes..

Hmm ....interesting question. I generally have difficulty giving my books away ...they become like good friends and I just can't part with them. I often tell myself that I really should clean out my book shelves ....luckily I'm easily able to talk myself out of actually going through with it. :lol:

Haha Larry, I do the same thing. I joined up to our library about 5 years ago, and I've been in once. I read the blurb on the back of a book, read the first couple of pages and thought "yeah that looks good". Then shamefully I caught the bus into the city, went to the bookshop, and bought it :D

I'm also known for (and this is even more shameful) buying paperbacks, falling in love with the book and buying the hardback, keeping the paperback I owned originally, and then trawling the charity shops picking up various different paperback editions of the same book. Most of Terry Brooks Shannara series and Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series I have in the hardback and two paperback editions. I own the children's and adult's editions of the Harry Potter series, and there's a really nice hardbacked, ribbon-bookmarked collection of these for a couple of hundred quid in the bookshop which causes me to break out in a sweat everytime I pass it :D. I have a large, gilt-edged, silver-ribbon bookmarked copy of Complete Austen, a small boxed set containing all 6 books in hardback which are gilt-edged and red-ribbon bookmarked, and I have my paperback reading copies!

I have never and probably will never part with a single book...

Wow Vanwa, I stand in awe...

I have given away tons of books but have now made it my business to buy books that I will just want to keep. I cleaned my bedroom bookshelf off early last year and dumped 4 bags of books to the thrift store. Two weeks I got the urge to read English Country Manor Murders only to remember that I had once got that book for FREE, now I had to purchase it!

Lesson learned.

I admit, I keep my books. Even if I am not sure if I am going to read them again, they are just, I dunno, precious to me. I love my books. However, my book case is now over flowing and spilling on to my desk!

I have always kept my books and never thought of parting with them. But now it is getting to the point I have limited space so I have organised the ones that I will never read again and keep the ones that I love. I have started using Green Metropolis, that way I can save a few trees but any books I sell I use the money to buy other books. :D :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

I only get rid of books if a) they're rubbish (luckily there are very few of these) or :motz: I have absolutley no space left so have to go through the very painful experience of sorting through my bookcase for the books I can bear to part with.

I'm very bad at buying and keeping books, to the point where if I get a book out of the library or somebody lends me one and I really enjoy it, I will go out and buy it (I therefore have books that I have read, I just haven't read the copy that I own!)

I also have books that I bought years ago and now my tastes have changed slightly and I don't really like the sound of them that much anymore, but I haven't read them yet and I can't get rid of a book I haven't read so they just sit on my shelf gathering dust!

I keep almost all my books. I have the luxury of quite a big spare room so space has never been a problem. The only time i give books away is when my sister is looking for items for school jumble sales or one of her charity car boots, then i fill a box with books i didn't enjoy or ones that i know i won't read again.

• 2 weeks later...

Books that I have really enjoyed I tend to keep. Some I give to friends to read or I give some away to my line dancing club which sells them and the money made goes to cancer charities.

I do still have books that I read as a child, which some day I would like to pass onto my children.

Some of my books were lost somewhere on the bookshelves of my friends. I don't want anyone (well, except my family) to borrow my books any more. There are good libraries here, in case they don't want to buy a book but want to read it. I am collecting the books I like and need, it's a pity when they disappear.

Generally, I keep all of mine however if it is something I have really hated, I will get rid of it. In order to create more space, I have recently given away doubles I have and just kept the edition I liked the most. (Got rid of LOTR all in one book because I have the individual three and found that I wasn't keen on taking a huge book on the train or to Uni).

I don't think I could bring myself to bin a book, unless it was unreadable for whatever reason, though.

Books have become a bit of a habit for me now and I can't help myself, especially in second hand book shops and charity shops.