Terry Pratchett for children and young adults

Nici

Robbie really enjoyed watching The Colour of Magic when it was on the tv recently and now would like to listen to some of his aduio books.

Can anyone recommend any good ones for a 12 year old to listen too please?

Thanks. :)

I've only read the books, but there are all the Young Discworld novels available in audio book:

1. The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents

2. The Wee Free Men

3. Hat Full of Sky

4. Wintersmith

The Bromeliad Trilogy is also available in audio book format:

1. Truckers

2. Diggers (I can only find this one in paperback - how odd!)

3. Wings

The Johnny Maxwell series is also excellent for young readers:

1. Only You Can Save Mankind

2. Johnny and the Dead

3. Johnny and the Bomb

And if he really wants something a bit special, he could try the one-off novel that Pratchett wrote when he was just 17-y-o and rewrote it later on (so he co-authored with himself - LOL!)

The Carpet People

Of course, being a HUGE Pratchett fan, I can recommend going through the entire Discworld series frm start to finish - and they're ALL available in audio book format now. :)

Kell, I said to Robbie that you would be the first to reply being a big Terry Pratchett fan! :cry2: Thanks!

Do you think the books you have mentioned will hold Robbie's attention and not too grown up?

I am afraid I know nothing about Terry Pratchett! :)

He should do fine with them - they're all aimed at the young adult and kids' market (I'd say the Bromeliad trilogy would perhaps be the "youngest" of them, but even so, a 12-y-o should still enjoy them). I've not read the Johnny Maxwell books, but I've never heard a bad thing about them. The Discworld young adult books are excellent - very funny. I think he'll especially enjoy The Wee Free Men - hoots mon! And ...Maurice... is a stand-alone Discworld novel, which is also excellent. I'd say that if he enjoyed all those, he'd definitely like to go onto The Carpet People which I would say would be better for perhaps a little older, as it's not specificaly aimed at the youth market, but there's absolutely nothing risque in it. I first read it back in 1992 when I was almost 16 and thought it wonderful - it was my first Pratchett experience and my love of his books grew rapidly from there.