The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

Anyone who would like to get hold of a copy of this book and join in the circle - there are quite a few copies available at

Green Metropolis

Added by Michelle - Also available at Amazon.. see link on site front page! :)

The Reading Circle choice for May is The House at Riverton by Kate Morton:

A story of love,mystery,and a secret history revealed.

Summer 1924: On the eve of a glittering Society party, by the lake of a grand English country house, a young poet takes his life. The only witnesses, sisters Hannah and Emmeline Hartford, will never speak to each other again. Winter 1999: Grace Bradley, 98, one-time housemaid of Riverton Manor, is visited by a young director making a film about the poet's suicide. Ghosts awaken and memories, long-consigned to the dark reaches of Grace's mind, begin to sneak back through the cracks. A shocking secret threatens to emerge; something history has forgotten but Grace never could. A thrilling mystery and a compelling love story, "The House at Riverton" will appeal to readers of Ian McEwan's "Atonement", L.P. Hartley's "The Go-Between", and lovers of the film "Gosford Park".

Some questions to consider:

1- Who was your favourite character and why?

2- Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

3- Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

4- Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

5- Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

(You do not have to answer all, or indeed, any, of these questions, they are meant only as points for you to perhaps mull over as you read, and provoke more discussion. Please feel free to ask and answer any questions that come up as you read.)

Some additional questions taken from Kate Morton's website:

(DO NOT READ THESE QUESTIONS TILL YOU HAVE READ THE BOOK, AS THERE MAY BE SPOILERS INVOLVED)

1. Tragedy has been described as “the conflict between desire and possibility”. In that light, considering the fates of the novel’s main characters, how might The House at Riverton be seen as a tragic novel? How are the characters’ tragic outcomes caused by the incompatibility of what they want and who they are?

2. On page 417, Ursula comments that David is “not really a major character. He died a little too early to affect things”, an assessment Grace describes as “debateable”. What does Grace mean? Did David’s death affect the outcomes of the other characters? If so, in what way/s?

3. How important to the novel’s outcome is Grace’s longing for a sister?

4. When Grace finds out about her true parentage she chooses not to tell Hannah. Why? Is it the right decision? Would things have ended differently had she done otherwise?

5. Kate Morton has said that the novel’s setting is as important to her as its characters, that Riverton Manor is as much a character of the book as its inhabitants. Do you agree? Does Riverton mirror the fates of the Hartford family and the aristocracy in general? If so, in what way/s?

6. The first world war was a catalyst for enormous social and cultural change. Not a character in The House at Riverton is left untouched by this event. Whose life is most altered? Why?

7. Frederick Hartford and Simion Luxton can be seen as representative of the old and new faces of early twentieth-century business. In what ways do the two men differ on issues of business practice? Is Frederick’s philosophy responsible for his business’s downfall? If so, in what way/s? Are these disparate methods of conducting business still evident today? If so, what are some examples?

8. Is there a heroine in The House at Riverton? If so, who is it? Why?

9. Grace and Robbie are both illegitimate children of upper-class parents, however their lives and opportunities are vastly different. Why?

10. Duty is very important to the youthful Grace. Did Grace’s sense of duty contribute to the novel’s conclusion? If so, how? Would things have turned out better for the characters if Grace had made different decisions?

11. One of the main themes of The House at Riverton is the haunting of the present by the past. In what ways does the novel suggest that the past can never be escaped? Do you agree that our pasts are inescapable?

12. In the chapter titled ‘Resurrection’, Grace questions the veracity of recorded history. She quotes Lytton Strachey’s tenet that “ignorance [is] the first requisite of the historian”. Do you agree? Can records of history be believed? What about Ursula’s biographical film, thoroughly researched and an accurate according to recognised historical record, yet at variance with Grace’s first-hand knowledge of events at Riverton? In what other ways does The House at Riverton explore this notion of the difficulty of ever really knowing what happened in the past?

13. In the world of The House at Riverton characters’ fates are determined to a large part by their gender. In what way/s is this so? Are men and women today bound in similar ways by their gender?

14. How are issues of social class explored in The House at Riverton?

15. Grace has resisted ever telling anyone about the events at Riverton. Why? What makes her change her mind? Is Grace a reliable narrator? Given her motive for recording her memories, can we trust her?

16. The twentieth century was a period of great and accelerated social change. In particular, the historical years that make up the bulk of Grace’s memories comprised a time of enormous transition. In what ways does Grace’s life exemplify these social changes?

17. Despite their differences, how might Grace and Hannah be seen as ‘doubles’? How does Grace’s relationship with Alfred mirror Hannah’s relationship with Robbie?

18. Another theme in The House at Riverton is that of inheritance. The way we are bound to our families through various items that are passed between the generations. Along with material inheritances, we are also subject to physical, social and psychological legacies. These inheritances are important in making us who we are and are not easily escaped. In what way is this notion explored in The House at Riverton? How do these various types of inheritance influence the lives of Hannah, Frederick, Teddy, Robbie, Grace, Jemima, Simion?

19. The House at Riverton is a frame narrative, a story from the past wrapped within a story in the present. How does this format assist in the expression of the novel’s themes? (The unreliability of history, the haunting of the present by the past, the inescapability of inheritance.)

• 2 weeks later...

I read it a couple of months ago and I enjoyed it, it was a very sad tale though, as you are reading it you see all the signs of what will eventually happen but there is no way of stopping it, very much a rollercoaster of a ride of a book.

I recommend it :D

It was one of those books that at first I didnt think I'd be able to get into it- but am so glad I did- it really does transport you back in time to one which was very different to our own time but not really that long ago - how times have changed for women in particular.

There is a great twist at the end it doesnt disappoint.

I found myself being irritated with Grace - living her life through someone else and being blind to the charm of money and position it doesnt bring happiness - and again the theme of people never being really content with their lot in life

^ I agree with Spooncat, as much as I did enjoy it.

I was annoyed with Grace, the part with the shorthand, oh my goodness, it annoyed me so much, I just knew it would come back to haunt her!

• 2 weeks later...

I read this last summer (after having had dream where I went and bought it). It was a brilliant read.

I agree that Grace was rather selfish not being content with her lot in life, but it would be only too easy for her to be envious of the life she could have had, if it were not for the selfishness and bureaucracy of her family, so I can't help feeling sorry for her. Life is not about regrets though. These things only make us worse as people, not better.

Can I join the circle. This is my first post on here so I don't know how to cover up spoilers etc (can anyone advise?). Therefore, I won't say too much yet.

I loved the book and got totally lost in it. It kind of reminded me of Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin and I noticed that Kate Morton mentions that book in her acknowledgements.

Thanks for the advice and the welcome. I'm so pleased to have found a friendly book forum. It's great to talk about a book that you enjoyed. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and having many discussions.

Back to Riverton

With regard to the question of whether Grace should have told Hannah that she was her half sister, I feel that it was strongly implied that Hannah already knew. Also, the fact that she gave Grace the locket with the money implies more than gratitude to a lady's maid, to me.

My favourite character was definitely Hannah because she wasn't stereoytpical - I felt that Emmeline was. I felt that the character of Robbie could have been better defined. We didn't really know a lot about him and I found it hard to 'relate' to the attraction that both of the girls felt for him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At last. :) Well I trundled my way through this, was nearly losing interest in it as I felt it was a bit too long. It was a bit reminice of 'Upstairs, Downstairs' for those who can remember the television series! Was eagerly awaiting the punchline as it were and then found it a bit predictable. Easily enough read and not overly taxing. Not a book that will be loitering on my bookshelf too long I'm afraid.

I am nearing the middle of this book and I must admit I am wondering what all the fuss is about. Still, we will see, I have quite a way to go yet.

I know what you mean....but like the others say, you have to finish it tie it altogether.

Can I join the circle. This is my first post on here so I don't know how to cover up spoilers etc (can anyone advise?). Therefore, I won't say too much yet.

I loved the book and got totally lost in it. It kind of reminded me of Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin and I noticed that Kate Morton mentions that book in her acknowledgements.

That's interesting Laa Laa, because I started to read The Blind Assassin a couple of months ago and couldnt get into it. I will have to try again methinks.

• 1 month later...

i loved this book i thought the jumps between time were really smooth and the story was well told. I really enjoyed all the little twists and I definitely agree that Hannah was the best character as she was unconventional.

I'm a bit confused as to why (something mentioned earlier) Grace would be seen as selfish for being jealous of the family? If anything I think she was portrayed as the opposite?

Overall a good read though! Nothing too different but an enjoyable plot, characters and writing style.

Sammy I have tried to answer your question. I'm sorry if it doesn't make sense. I haven't time to read it over. I've had to put it in a spoiler just in case.

Grace was angry at her mother for not telling her who she was. It was evident that although she loved the family, she wished she could be part of it, all symptoms of jealousy. I think it was said that she should be happy with her lot in life, as in not dwelling on what might have been (as she chose the last moments of her life to reveal all this to her Grandson, almost rejecting her family for her heritage), and she should have thought more of her real life situation, of her daughter, and found happiness in the role given to her. We don't know all the answers to this because we don't have Grace's feelings about, as far as I recall, and so we shouldn't judge too much, but we live in an age where many people seem to always want more than they have, when the reality is, if we spend to much time living in the past or future rather than the present we miss life completely and before we know it there is no time left.

Sorry if this isn't very articulate but my computer deleted the long detailed post I was writing, so just quickly...

It's interesting to see people's points of view on this because I completely disagree! :D

I thought if anything Grace was the opposite of selfish when she was younger and never attempted in anyway to act as Hannah sister or disown her mother. She is very grateful for what she has e.g. her happiness when Hannah decides to take her to London.

As an elderly woman I can see where she may seem resentful but I understood the story to be taking place during her dying days and her reverting back to this major event, but having lived a very fulfilling life and looked after her daughter well. Although I felt a little ill-feeling towards her daughter I thought this came more from the daughter's treatment of her than anything else.

Whatever the interpretation though, it definitely kept me reading!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit late reading this one, but I just wanted to post how much I enjoyed this book.

Well told, despite the leaps in time and although the ending wasn't a huge surprise, it was a good conclusion. It made me look forward to my reading sessions.

I noted that duty was the main theme, Alfred's duty to serve his country, Hannah duty to marry and Grace duty to serve, later causing them unhappiness, and although sad it wasn't miserably so. I wasn't completely won over by the fact that Grace was the half sister, something about that didn't work for me, but I guess it needed it for Grace to have that added sense of duty towards Hannah. I did love the little twists that linked it all together, like the shorthand. I was "woah" when Hannah stated that Grace didn't understand it. I knew that it was backfire on her, but how spectactually. I also love how Ursula's Grandmother linked the past to the present.

All in all a great read - this month's favourite.

• 3 months later...
I'm a bit late reading this one, but I just wanted to post how much I enjoyed this book.

Well told, despite the leaps in time and although the ending wasn't a huge surprise, it was a good conclusion. It made me look forward to my reading sessions.

I noted that duty was the main theme, Alfred's duty to serve his country, Hannah duty to marry and Grace duty to serve, later causing them unhappiness, and although sad it wasn't miserably so. I wasn't completely won over by the fact that Grace was the half sister, something about that didn't work for me, but I guess it needed it for Grace to have that added sense of duty towards Hannah. I did love the little twists that linked it all together, like the shorthand. I was "woah" when Hannah stated that Grace didn't understand it. I knew that it was backfire on her, but how spectactually. I also love how Ursula's Grandmother linked the past to the present.

All in all a great read.

This post sums up my thoughts on the book, I'm no good at writing reviews but this says it all for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this book, at first I found it quite slow, but somewhere towards the middle everything started to take shape and the story began to pick-up. Even right at the end new pieces of information came to light, which I loved; it completely changed my perception of Grace.

I agree with a lot of the criticisms mentioned above. The biggest issue for me though was the similarities between this and The Blind Assassin by Margaret Attwood, which I found quite amazing!!! Although The Blind Assassin is probably a better book from the point of view of a literary critic or anyone that knows about books, I think I enjoyed The House at Riverton more. This is mainly because although it could be seen as a shortfall that certain parts of Grace's life were left undeleveloped, I think it would have been boring to give that kind of detail, I feel a bit guilty admitting it, but I didn't care that much about Grace's life post-Riverton and pre-old age and I was glad I didn't have to read too much detail about those years. It also allows the reader to use their imagination a little to fill the gaps...

Bit of a babble, sorry!