The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

Nici

Synopsis from Amazon:"The Pillars of the Earth" tells the story of Philip, prior of Kingsbridge, a devout and resourceful monk driven to build the greatest Gothic cathedral the world has known; of Tom, the mason who becomes his architect - a man divided in his soul; of the beautiful, elusive Lady Aliena, haunted by a secret shame; and of a struggle between good and evil that will turn church against state, and brother against brother. A spellbinding epic tale of ambition, anarchy, and absolute power set against the sprawling medieval canvas of twelfth-century England, this is Ken Follett's historical masterpiece.

My thoughts:

What a wonderful book!

Set in the twelfth century, Ken Follett tells what it would have been like to live in this time. The poverty, the living accomodations, the fighting were all told in great detail.

The characters were brilliantly written and the book flowed from one character to another very well. Some of the characters you couldn't help but love but some, including one is particular was pure evil and another was very cunning in the worse possible ways.

Even though this book was a mammouth 1,075 pages long, I was still turning the pages as if it had only just begun. Ken Follett keeps your attention right to the last page and to be honest I didn't want this book to end. I am going to miss it!

10/10

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review Nici, Thanks :readingtwo:

I watched an interview with the author on Tv last week and wondered why I had never heard of the book. He was talking about how it took him 18 years to write the sequal ~ World Without End.

I will be on the look out for this once I have managed to clear a bit of Mount TBR

Thanks Nici,

I've had this on my shelf since summer (I bought it because it was one of the BBC's top reads) and I've just not got round to it yet, but I think I'll give it a try soon.

I love books that take you to the past and make you experience what it was like to live then. That's the reasons I loved "Katherine," much to my surpirse.

• 1 month later...

I've only read Pillars of the Earth...many years ago, probably now long after it came out and throughly enjoyed it. I have the sequel in my TBR mountain, however I've not heard as good things about World Without End. According to some reviews and fellow posters on another forum, it is rather repetitive and not half so interesting. One day I'll get to it myself.

Nici, your review is a good take on it. :lol:

I read Pillers of the Earth last year and really enjoyed the book. It was the first of Ken Follett's work that I have read and look forward to reading more.

Edited by Maureen
Punctuation

• 4 weeks later...
The historical detail in Pillars of the Earth is way off base. It's a page turner, but it's terrible history!

But great fun! But that must be very annoying.

I am a history teacher and have forgotten all the history I ever knew but did read the sequel to this which was set in 1340s and it seemed to be exactly the same.

It must be quite frustrating for you to have done lots of historical research....

Edited by Louiseog

But great fun! But that must be very annoying.

I am a history teacher and have forgotten all the history I ever knew but did read the sequel to this which was set in 1340s and it seemed to be exactly the same.

It must be quite frustrating for you to have done lots of historical research....

It is a double edged sword. I can read material in say the Tudor or Regency period and the errors pass me by unless they are glaringly enormous, but with fiction set in the Middle Ages I'm a lot more sensitive. Pillars just doesn't get the mindset and some of the scenes would never, ever have happened back then. The first time I read it, I knew less about the period and got on with the book quite well, but when I re-read it for an online reading group a couple of years ago, I was wall-banging it every few pages.

I read Pillers of the Earth last year and really enjoyed the book. It was the first of Ken Follett's work that I have read and look forward to reading more.

My favourite of his is 'The third twin'. It is a good story, and I always recommend it, especially to someone who wants to try KF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I loved Pillars of the Earth. I didn't think I'd get through such a huge book because my dad gave it to me just after I started reading "grown-up" books so I put it off for a few years but I read it when I was 15 and I could not put it down.

I understand it must be frustrating though for those of you who know the history of the period but even so, I think it's a great book.

I have World Without End but I think it was made on recycled paper or something because the pages seem so fragile, I'm afraid to rip them! I'm going to re-read Pillars of the Earth before I start it though seeing as it's been a couple of years.

This book actually got me interested in the that period of history called "The Anarchy" with the warring cousins, King Stephen and Empress Matilda. As Elizabeth Chadwick says, it is historically inaccurate but a good page turner. What it did for me though was to get me reading books about that period and the best for me were the Brother Cadfael Books by Ellis Peters and the ones by Ms Chadwick of that same era (I've read 'em all). Their research was meticulous and it is a terrific episode in history to read about.