Wolf Brother ~ Michelle Paver

EshInoBi

Wolf Brother

Written by Michelle Paver

First book : Chronicles of Ancient Darkness

Wolf Brother is the first book of the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness.

Synopsis/'Summary'

Here is a 'summary' I wrote. I think it might be too long and too spoily, so read at your own risk!

When Torak's father is killed by a demon bear, Torak is all alone. With only some words to guide him left by his father before his father's death, Torak journeys to where no one has ever been before. He must go north, as far north as he can, where, his father says, his guide will find him. After narrowly escaping some people, whom his father warned him not to be seen by, he becomes very hungry. When he hears a small, tired animal all alone, Torak thanks his clan creature, the wolf, for bringing him free food. As he approaches his prey, he discovers a secret. A secret about himself that he'd never known – He could understand wolves. Torak hated himself for not being able to kill the young cub that would've been good food, but he discovers the wolf is his guide. Sometimes, wolf was a cub. Wolf was very playful. Sometimes, Wolf was the guide, who led Torak to the mountain that his father told him to go to. After fighting off fever, he heads north. Then – He's grabbed by the scruff and taken by some people. After traveling with the people, he finds out they are of the RavenClan. Apparently, RavenClan got a prophecy from their clan mage that a “Listener” who fought with air and talked with silence would come and give his blood to the mountain. All of RavenClan assumed that the “Listener' would have to go to the mountain to die, but Torak's father taught him well. Remembering some rules, Torak says that he must be given some chance to fight. Fin-Keddin promised that they would not kill him if he won the fight,Hord, one of the people who had helped capture him, offered to be the one to fight Torak. Fin-Keddin, RavenClan's leader told him that the only rule was not to fight with fire. Renn gives him a drink saying, “It's only fair”. Hord had some as well. While the fight progressed, Wolf was hanged inside a bag on a tree. During the fight, Torak had to use his wits. He pretended to need a drink and threw water on the fire, making gas appear everywhere. When Fin-Keddin declares that Torak won the fight, some of the villagers protest because he used fire. “I used gas!” he protested. They tied him to a post. He told them that they promised to set him free if they won, but Fin-Keddin says that they wouldn't set him and Wolf free. They just wouldn't kill them. Wolf helped Torak escape, but he had to do something – he had to leave Wolf to escape. After escaping for a while, he goes back, knowing that leaving Wolf was not the choice. While trying to get Wolf back, he goes near a sort-of cemetary, where most people wouldn't go and fell down somewhere, where he saw Renn, Hord's brother. Renn was also one of his capturers. Renn had Wolf with her in a bag. Wolf hated Renn. Renn always pushed Wolf into a “den” that he couldn't move around in. Renn explains that their clan mage said that she thought there might be a second meaning to the prophecy. The clan mage thought that the “Listener” would help save everyone. Renn was one of those believers and claimed she was rescuing Torak for her clan, not for him. She also recites a “poem” that the clan mage said:

“Deepest of all, the drowned sight.

Oldest of all, the stone bite.

Coldest of all, the darkest light.”

He had to find 3 pieces of the Nanuak to persuade the world spirit to help him kill the demon bear that was terrorizing all. After Torak decides that he can trust Renn, he tells Renn of his journey. When they cross a river, Torak falls into a river where he sees one of the pieces of Nanuak. His hands covered in mud, he went deeper to get the Nanuak piece. He thought he went blind achieving the Nanuak piece. When Renn and Wolf save him, Renn explains that if Torak didn't have mud on his hands, one of his souls might of slowly slipped away. Renn also explains that Torak hit his head, temporarily causing him to lose his sight. Torak shows her the Nanuak piece. Renn thinks he was destined to fall into the river to get it. “Deepest of all, the drowned sight.”. When they shelter near a cave where another Nanuak piece was. Torak decides to go in alone and told Renn and Wolf to stay outside. He'd call them if there was any trouble. The real trouble was outside of the cave. While Torak obtained the Nanuak piece with a glove, he realizes Renn and Wolf are fighting the bear outside of the cave. They later find out that the bear was attracted to the river eyes, the first Nanuak piece. Wolf grabs the pouch with the river eyes and runs for it, causing the bear to follow him. Outside, Renn was injured by the bear. Torak realized what he had done. They had got another piece of the Nanuak, but they also lost one. “Oldest of all, the stone bite.” Wolf was much faster than the bear and escaped back to Torak and Renn. When they're all together, Renn makes away so that nothing can sense the two pieces of Nanuak that they had obtained. Torak, Wolf, and Renn headed north again, where it began to get colder. There was a storm in which Torak and Wolf got separated from Renn. They each made a snow cave, as Renn instructed they should do if they got caught in a snow storm. Renn blew on a whistle Torak had given her a while back. Wolf comes to rescue her, and in another snow cave, Torak meanwhile is in another snow cave where he finds a dead man with a lantern, the third piece of the Nanuak. When Torak, Renn, and Wolf walk to the new RavenClan camp, there is a dispute whether they should send Torak alone to fight the bear, or if they should kill him at the mountain. RavenClan decide to send him, but Renn wanted to come. Surprisingly, Hord wanted to come as well- but only for glory. He surprises Torak and tries to kill him, but gets killed by the bear. The world spirit sent an avalanche to kill the bear, but Torak still gave his heart's blood to the montain. Wolf. Wolf joined a pack in the mountains. He had left what he loved most.

Review

I loved this book. My friend, Kimberly Ann, told me she had read it and that another teacher recommended it would help in Grade 7 Socials Studies (we're in grade 6) and so I read it. It's really amazing, so fast and wonderful!!! No boring parts, in my opinion, goes by really fast!!! WONDERFUL!

Me neither! This has to be my favourite series (*shove* Sorry, Harry Potter :readingtwo:) and I've read the second one goodness knows how many times.

Which one's your favourite?

I think I've only read them once....strange, for me.

Dammit, the TBR pile grows bigger :)

What's TBR. I've only read each of them once, but I think my favourites of the four is Wolf Brother and Soul Eater... between those two, I would probably say Wolf Brother, but they're all so good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I love these books so much! My two best friends had to (almost literally) drag me out a book shop in some town when we were on a school trip because they'd got the sixth one and it hadn't got here yet!

I was well annoyed.

Anyone think the ending to the sixth one left so many things open?

I can't believe they're over *sniff* :friends0:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...