Slam by Nick Hornby

happyanddandy

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i enjoyed reading this book, mainly because i thought sam was adorable as a character. at first i thought he sounded too young for his age, but then i realized at sixteen he was still a child. in spite of the things he was capable of doing (i.e., sex), he was just a naive boy. i remember thinking he didn't even know what he was doing - he had sex with alicia only because he was only curious. i even felt sorry for him since it was obvious his prime interest was skating and getting a girl pregnant sort of got in the way of that.

the whizzing thing was a bit weird, but i got past that.

while there isn't anything spectacular about this novel, i wouldn't consider it a worthless read. it's light-hearted, which is a nice change from the angst that typically permeates a novel for young adults. i also appreciate the way hornby could take a heavy topic like teen pregnancy and weave a story that neither trivializes it nor makes it the worst problem in the world.

• 4 weeks later...

I like Hornby's older works so I also went to the bookstore to get this one, but to be honest I didn't really like it too much and I guess I will think twice if I will get his next book.

Somehow they way he writes doesn't seems to capture me as much anymore as it used to!

• 2 months later...

I actually thought this was OK.

I think 'Long Way Down' is my favourite of his but 'Slam', although light and easy, does offer some reminders as to how completely self absorbed teenagers are.

I gave it to my skateboarding teenage son to read who felt the character was very immature for his age. ;)

I'm guessing the chats with Tony Hawks are the skateboarder equivalent to fantasising about marrying a pop star or singing into the hairbrush or air guitaring. All very immature... none of us ever did/do that did/do we.:D

I like Nick Hornby's books because sometimes I want to pick up a book which I know will neither be challenging or depressing.

Predictable is good sometimes.

• 4 months later...

HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU NOT LIKE THIS BOOK?!:readingtwo: Sorry about that, but I thought that this book was absolutely fantastic. It was funny and touching at the same time. I believe that Hornby captured perfectly the way many teenagers act or think these days. Also, I thought that the supporting characters were well developed, besides, the story was told from Sam's point of view, so how much more could we possibly know?

Personally, I highly recommend this book :lol:

i enjoyed reading this book, mainly because i thought sam was adorable as a character. at first i thought he sounded too young for his age, but then i realized at sixteen he was still a child. in spite of the things he was capable of doing (i.e., sex), he was just a naive boy. i remember thinking he didn't even know what he was doing - he had sex with alicia only because he was only curious. i even felt sorry for him since it was obvious his prime interest was skating and getting a girl pregnant sort of got in the way of that.

the whizzing thing was a bit weird, but i got past that.

while there isn't anything spectacular about this novel, i wouldn't consider it a worthless read. it's light-hearted, which is a nice change from the angst that typically permeates a novel for young adults. i also appreciate the way hornby could take a heavy topic like teen pregnancy and weave a story that neither trivializes it nor makes it the worst problem in the world.

can you please use spoilers? i want to read this book and now know something i didnt want to until i read it.

thanks.

i think alot of nick hornby's work looks really good actually. might have to get a few of his books.