Have you read a book more than once?

Inver

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I do this all the time - re-read books that is, mostly with non fiction . A lot of my favourite spiritual books I dip into now and again for various bits and pieces - the Jean M Auel books I have read about three times now, and the one I have just finished about the Island of St Kilda was the second time I have read that.

Books I've read more than once....

Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen

The Stand, Stephen King

Insomnia, Stephen King

The Gold Coast, Nelson DeMille

The Charm School, Nelson DeMille

Plum Island, Nelson DeMille

Aztec, Gary Jennings

Oh I love Nelson DeMille's books! I have read Plum Island a few times, Charm School twice and Lions Game twice.

Other rereads (t least all the ones I can think of off the top of my head):

Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

Tell No One - Harlan Coben

Pompeii - Robert Harris

Archangel - Robert Harris

Gorky Park - Martin Cruz Smith

Want to reread soon (but means getting in the loft and sifting through a dozen boxes of books that I have stowed away because of lack of book shelf space so probably won't happe anytime soon :)) :

Behind the Scenes at the Museum - Kate Atkinson

Human Croquet - Kate Atkinson

The Wilt series by Tom Sharpe

I don't generally re-read much, but there are a few exceptions:

I've read most of the Jane Austen a few times (with the exception of Emma which I've started more than once, but never actually managed to finish it!).

All the Harry Potter series upto and including Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix have been read many times, but I've only read the last two books once each, but I have them on audio book so intend to listen to them again.

I read the Twilight series three or four times in succession, but haven't done so again since!

Some of my favourite chick-lit books have been read more than once including early Jane Green and Alexandra Potter books.

As I'm getting older, I've also been going back to some of my childhood favourites to see if they're as good as I remember, so I've re-read the Mallory Towers books by Enid Blyton, her Cherry Tree Farm books as well, and also the Chalet School books.

However, I do notice a pattern - all of these are comfort reading. I usually fall back on something like this when I've lost interest in reading, or I've been through a bad patch with books I haven't enjoyed, and I come back to these to help me remember the good things about books and why I read.

I probably wouldn't re-read a novel because I'd rather find something new, but books such as the Calvin and Hobbes or Foxtrot comic strip collections can be read over an over. Even if you remember the joke, it is nice to appreciate the artwork or the pacing of it.

If I enjoy any book, I will turn back to the first page as soon as I have finished it and read it all over again. The Harry Potter series I read four times in a row before I'd had enough of it for a while.

I've re-read quite a few of my books once with books like Great Expectations, Wuthering Heights and the Harry Potter books being read so many times I've lost count! I normally re-read when I've lost my reading mojo :)

Guest radjack
I normally re-read when I've lost my reading mojo :)

Same thing for me, I think re-reading something that you like is the best way to regain your mojo.

I've never re-read anything up until last month when I read Dracula for the second time. Mind you, it was over 20 years since I'd read it the first time so I'd forgotten loads of it and I can understand why I liked it again. :)

I couldn't imagine reading a book, then re-reading it six months later though, I think I'd need to wait a couple of years at least. But now I've discovered re-reading, I'm sure I'll do it again. :)

I've never re-read anything up until last month when I read Dracula for the second time. Mind you, it was over 20 years since I'd read it the first time so I'd forgotten loads of it and I can understand why I liked it again. :lol:

I couldn't imagine reading a book, then re-reading it six months later though, I think I'd need to wait a couple of years at least. But now I've discovered re-reading, I'm sure I'll do it again. :lol:

This is something about you I'll never, ever understand :lol: I've reread so many books, and for so many times. I cannot imagine not rereading anything! And to think you've only just done it for the first time in your life!

(I still like you though :blush:)