Have you read a book more than once?

Inver

The only books I have ever felt like re-reading are , first, the Chronicles of Brother Cadfael. I have re-read all 18 cos I just love them. It's not all about the plot either, once I have discovered "whodunnit" I am then interested in the everyday life of 12th century Shrewsbury - and reading about Cadfael's herb usage.

Second, I have re-read quite a few Sherlock Holmes stories as again, you pick up details you may have missed first time round.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read the Hitch hiker's guide series several times, and catch 22 twice.

And a bunch of other stuff.

I think some books are re-readable, and some aren't really(well for some people) , but that doesn't really have any bearing on whether a book is a good book, or not, it's just one of those things.

I love re-reading books from my childhood. The Anne of Green Gables series and the Emily of New Moon series by L.M. Montgomery are two that I have repeatedly gone back too. (Oftentimes, though, I just skim them through looking for my favorite parts!)

There are also some things that I've read for class numerous times. I think I've read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Chretien de Troyes' Yvain in about five different classes at this point. I love them both every time though!

I think that re-reading sometimes deepens my appreciation of a book, and sometimes doesn't. I think it depends on the mindset I go in with. If I go in looking for things that I have missed, then I inevitably find them. If, however, I go in with more of a "reuniting with an old friend" kind of mentality, then I'm naturally more drawn to the things I have noticed before. Both are enjoyable and useful, I think.

• 2 weeks later...
I've never heard of Noughts and Crosses before, just looked it up on amazon and kind of sounds a bit like a futuristic Romeo & Juliet? Would you recommend the trilogy to read?

OH MY GOD! The series is my all time favourite, I've loved it for six years!! I would recommend it a thousand times over!!

Noughts and Crosses being the first. Knife edge the second. Checkmate the third. And Double cross the fourth.

:D

I'm noticing a lotta raving about that trilogy around this place =P

I may have to check them out too, I've been looking for another trilogy/set of four. I love trilogies though.

I have OCD, and I like things that come in threes.

Oh I love the old fashioned talking and writing! Its beautiful! I'm a grammar nazi (despite my poor grammar on here I know >_<) and I have this thing about decent articulation.

Old books just phrased things so beautifully, and all the 'shall's and 'I would it were's and *sigh* I wish people still spoke that way.

I have two modules in college this year, Romance and Realism and 18th Century Lit... or is it Victorian Lit... I don't care, either way its 4-6 more classics that are required reading in the next 4 months!!! =D

Oh, RoxiS, that sounds great! Let us know what you are reading. I love books of that time and have read quite a lot of them. They are always great for discussing :lol:

I just find it so much effort to read a book like that, much prefer modern books, which is kinda sad because I'm probably missing out on a lot!

I'm exactly the same. I don't think I've ever read a book that could be classed as a 'classic'. Saying that, Wuthering Heights is on my wishlist as it seems to be recommended a lot, so I'm going to give that a go.

• 1 month later...

I think the only book I've read multiple times was "Little Women".. I also watched the movie dozens of times, as I seem to love to watch it around Christmas. :lol: Other than that, I haven't done any repeat reading, I don't think.

And Roxi, I'm so jealous of your Victorian lit-ish class!