Have you read a book more than once?

Inver

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Robert Johnson

I find that reading a book the second or third time is never as good as the first. Reading a book many years later, what you've learnt and experienced in the meantime can completely change your views of the book when you read it again.

Edited by Kell
Please do NOT use bold for entire posts

As a child I read most of my books over and over again some of the Enid Blyton books I could almost recite parts word for word.

As an adult 'Dream house' by Alison Habens is the only book I have to read again every so often, I have lost count of the number of times. I love it so much. I also loved and intend to read the Adrian Mole books again.

• 3 weeks later...

I read many, many books more than once and often several times each over the years. When I love a book or series, I can never get enough of it! Each reading seems to bring me more pleasure and provide new insights into both the story and subject matter! :D

Edited by wordsgood

"A good reader, a major reader, an active and creative reader is a rereader."

There are many delights that come with rereading books. I reread some books several times and hopefully will continue to do so. I like noticing things you didn't see the first time. There are quite a lot of books to be read, so while I love to read new books I don't think we should forget the ones we read before!

There have been a few I have been known to re-read. Like Murphy's Boy - I first read it when I was 10 (my Mom was reading it for a phych course she was taking), then re-read it many years later & I've read the Diary of Anne Frank a few times.

As a child I read most of my books over and over again some of the Enid Blyton books I could almost recite parts word for word.

As an adult 'Dream house' by Alison Habens is the only book I have to read again every so often, I have lost count of the number of times. I love it so much. I also loved and intend to read the Adrian Mole books again.

I recently read the Enid Blyton Books The Magic Faraway Tree with my young nephews and nieces but they are all very pc re prints, Dick and Fanny have been changed to less (Rude) names. and some other obvious un-pc characters have had name changes

Adrian Mole reminds me very much of my rather "wet" Cousin

When I am particualrly stress or tired I retreat back into the books I loved as child. Partly becuase they are easy to read, but also they remind me of the joy I had of escaping into them, curled up in my bedroom.

The one I normally return to is Over Sea Under Stone, part of the Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper. (The film was terrible, I was gutted).

I recently read the Enid Blyton Books The Magic Faraway Tree with my young nephews and nieces but they are all very pc re prints, Dick and Fanny have been changed to less (Rude) names. and some other obvious un-pc characters have had name changes

Adrian Mole reminds me very much of my rather "wet" Cousin

I still have my own Enid Blyton's with the original characters. I plan on reading them to the girls in a few years time.

i'm a big re-reader of books, which is one reason i keep so many of them.. can't remember how many times i have read Dune.. or the entire Anne of Green Gables series - that really takes me back to my childhood.. :) talking of childhood, someone else here mentioned lots of Enid Blyton books, i read them too from time to time.. also the Abbey Girls series, (EJ Oxenham) i only have three of those, but i had more when i was a kid.. i'd love to find more of them.. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yes. There are some books that I'll never part with and will read again many months or even years later.

Here's one I recently reread. It's a wonderful WW2 memoir that brings a lump to my throat. It's also a book that inspires me to press on with life no matter what obstacles are placed in my way.

''Red Tail Captured, Red Tail Free: Memoirs of a Tuskegee Airman and POW''

From Good to Great by Jim Collins

I've read it twice and have listened to it on CD once.

I apply it more for work, but it's still a great read!

I also read the Vincent Price biography written by his Daughter Victoria Price, twice.

Such an incredible story about such an incredible man, who lived his life to its absolute fullest.

And for those who like well written books, Victoria Price has a masters in English.

Those who limit their intrests limit their lives -- Vincent Price

Edited by AWoolford

I got My Booky Wook by Russell Brand last Christmas and had read it by Boxing Day; I thought it was brilliant! In the summer, I was looking for a book to take on holiday, and I saw it at the back of my bookshelf, so it took it and read it, and id forgotten how brilliant it was! Im now reading it again- im sure I will finish it by the weekend :17: