Have you read a book more than once?

Inver

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never read either of these but have them both on video (because of them featurring Kenneth Branagh), I keep promising myself I will read them one day.

I think you will enjoy reading them, benedicklover, especially Month in the Country because the film is very true to the book. I'm guessing from your user name and your liking of Kenneth Branagh that you will also have a video/dvd of Much Ado About Nothing - I love that film.:blush:

I've read many over and over again. It seems that if I don't have a book to read I get restless and bump into things. I've read the labels on soup cans and have even caught myself reading the shampoo bottle in the shower and then; having once read it; begin to re-arrange letters to make other words. Is it an illness, disease or sickness, I'm not sure - in any case, it runs in my family. I once saw my little sister, about 13 years old, wake up from a nap; put on her glasses and continue reading. Books abound. They're piled up in my apartment either waiting like an old friend for a visit or a trip as a donation to my local library. I have "book friends" (and now this forum) who suggest books for me to read, like the waiter at my local fish and chips place. Like two grannies on the porch talking about past lovers, I find myself re-reading books from my childhood remembering not only the story but the innocence of my youth. Some books I might never read again but keep for nostalgia. I have my beat-up treasured copy of Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test that I read back in '73 that still has a rolling paper in it for a book mark! My experience with books in my life is so profound and integrated into my lifestyle that it's bound tightly, barely edited (just like this long paragraph). :blush:

It seems that if I don't have a book to read I get restless and bump into things. I've read the labels on soup cans and have even caught myself reading the shampoo bottle in the shower and then; having once read it; begin to re-arrange letters to make other words. Is it an illness, disease or sickness, I'm not sure

If it is then I suffer too! :roll:

As a self confessed linguophile I read it all... notice boards, graffiti, dictionaries, instructions. I love how words build and where they originate.

Books I've reread include:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Rebecca.

Far From The Madding Crowd.

Oliver.

A Christmas Carol (which I read every Christmas).

and

my favourite for its 'use of language'. . .

The English Patient. :blush:

I'm like that too! I have to have a book to read or i feel really lost...

I have re-read the Flowers in the Attic series and the Heaven series by Virginia Andrews several times, although not for a while now. But they are still all on my book shelf.

Wrath said

I've read many over and over again. It seems that if I don't have a book to read I get restless and bump into things. I've read the labels on soup cans and have even caught myself reading the shampoo bottle in the shower and then; having once read it; begin to re-arrange letters to make other words. Is it an illness, disease or sickness, I'm not sure - in any case, it runs in my family. I once saw my little sister, about 13 years old, wake up from a nap; put on her glasses and continue reading. Books abound. They're piled up in my apartment either waiting like an old friend for a visit or a trip as a donation to my local library. I have "book friends" (and now this forum) who suggest books for me to read, like the waiter at my local fish and chips place. Like two grannies on the porch talking about past lovers, I find myself re-reading books from my childhood remembering not only the story but the innocence of my youth. Some books I might never read again but keep for nostalgia. I have my beat-up treasured copy of Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test that I read back in '73 that still has a rolling paper in it for a book mark! My experience with books in my life is so profound and integrated into my lifestyle that it's bound tightly, barely edited (just like this long paragraph). :blush:

Me too. Like You and Trish, I read everything and anything, and also make up word and letter games, , or try to translate into french, etc Its not just compulsive...it just ahppens without even thinking about it. I can remember the first time I met someone who didn't make up words from the vehicle registration plates. I couldn't believe that someone a) wouldn't notice, and :) not find it interesting to come up with words and alternatives, some of which were very funny. Since then, I've learnt that it's probably me that's the odd one! Life is so much more dull now they've changed the reg plates!:roll:

Oh, and how many words can you make out of 'shreddies' or 'delicious'.

How sad is that??

Pp

I think you will enjoy reading them, benedicklover, especially Month in the Country because the film is very true to the book. I'm guessing from your user name and your liking of Kenneth Branagh that you will also have a video/dvd of Much Ado About Nothing - I love that film.:blush:

Ha ha, busted:blush: Yeah, I have watched the film literally dozens of times.

• 1 year later...

Only just getting back into reading but was wondering do you ever re-read books or are you like me (so far) and read a book once and then that is it - goes on the shelf.....

If you do re-read books how long do you leave it before reading it again?

I re-read all the time.

The book I've read most is Forever Amber (four times so far...I think). Or perhaps Freda Warrington's A Taste of Blood Wine (four times, might be five though).

I've read Gone With the Wind at least three times; same for BTB's A Woman of Substance - I think she's built an entire career on that one book and her novels have been going steadily downhill since then but anyway...

There are probably hundreds of books I've read more than once. My dad's always asking me why I buy books when there's a library a five-minute walk from my house and I always tell him, "I might want to read it again." His answer is, "Borrow the book again," but he's not a bookworm. I love owning my own novels and flicking through them from time to time, seeing what grabs me.

There aren't many non-writing people I know who understand why one would want to read the same book more than once; one could say, "I read the first time for enjoyment and the second time to study how the author achieved such literary effects," but the truth is - I just enjoy it. Who wouldn't want to go over an old favourite again? Sure, you know what happens, but I bet you'd watch the same film more than once, wouldn't you?

After a quick count - of the 576 books I own, I've read 60 more than once.

I've read most of my books more than once. My favorite book, The Lord of the Rings, I've read about 4 times. Some of my oldest favorites, like Jurassic Park, I've read maybe 5 or 6 times. I actually find that I enjoy the book in a different way each time I read it.

Yes, I have re-read several books, like Congo by Michael Crichton, Deception Point by Dan Brown, The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks and many more. Lately been re-reading "he's just not that into you by greg behrendt and liz tuccillo".

There are books I'm compelled to read again every year or two.

"Gaudy Night" by Dorothy L. Sayers (Followed by "Busman's Honeymoon")

All of my Ngaio Marsh mysteries.

All of my Patricia Wentworth mysteries.

The Birth of Britain series by Winston Churchill.

The Dune series by Frank Herbert.

The Shannara books by Terry Brooks.

The Three Sisters Trilogy by Nora Roberts.

So, yeah, I reread a lot of books. LOL.

I read the Baby-Sitters Club books over and over again when I was younger. And I've re-read most of the Trixie Belden books at least half a dozen times.

Every year or two I read all 10 books of John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began series. I also re-read the Harry Potter books at least once every two years (I was pretty much re-reading them every year for a while, as new books kept coming out). And there is a certain trilogy of books by Jonathan Wylie that I've also read about half a dozen times.

Dear me, is it any wonder I have so many books on my TBR pile when I keep re-reading? :readingtwo: Although, of the 20 books I've read so far this year, only two have been re-reads, and there's a been a gap of at least 10 years since I last read them!

Some of my favourite re-reads are:

Princess Daisy - Judith Krantz

The Legacy & The Inheritance - Claire Raynor

The Wind In The Willows - Kenneth Grahame

Black Beauty - Anna Sewell

Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe - C S Lewis

to name but a few, and I also have all of Lesley Pearse's and nearly all of Martina Cole's books which will definately get a re-read at some point. :readingtwo:

• 3 months later...

I am afraid I do not as there is so much out there to read I cannot justify the time spent re reading a book. I did re read Rats once cos I had nothing else to hand when I was bed ridden but that was the only time i did so. Although I do keep all the books after I have read them. God knows why!

Now and again I'll come across a book that I enjoyed the first time round and before I know it, I'm engrossed in it again. I once came across Savages by Shirley Conran in the loft which I had read many years ago and couldn't remember how it ended so I read it again and my memory must be appalling because the end was still a surprise second time round.