Have you read a book more than once?

Inver

It depends on what you mean by rereading. If you mean the whole book then if I feel the book is worth it I'll reread it. However I find myself with ceratin books rereading previous part5s to clarify something that occurs later in the book. Now in this case thats what i term rereading. Yeah im odd, but I've found this methood extracts the most from a book. Agreed rereading a book as a whole yields more, but a litttle rereading previous materuial hellps as well :)

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what you mean by rereading. If you mean the whole book then if I feel the book is worth it I'll reread it. However I find myself with ceratin books rereading previous part5s to clarify something that occurs later in the book. Now in this case thats what i term rereading. Yeah im odd, but I've found this methood extracts the most from a book. Agreed rereading a book as a whole yields more, but a litttle rereading previous materuial hellps as well :D

With certain books, i may feel the need to go back and re-read things. For example, in The Time Travellers Wife i found myself going back to refer to past travels. And sometimes i actually re-read the chapter.

• 1 month later...
Hmmm, my thoughts, and this is just me.

If I don't find a book worth reading more than once, then it wasn't worth reading in the first place.

I completely agree Libri. I have shelves of books and piles of books. The piles are one-off reads, and I'm going to have to find a sensible way to rehome these. The shelves consist of Tolkien, Brooks, Austen, Pullman, King, Jordan, JV Jones, Goodkind, Pratchett, and many others, inclusive of my favourite childhood books, and also Herbert as a new addition, Tolstoy, so on and so forth. All of these are books I consider worthy of rereads.

I recently reread Lord of the Rings for about the dozenth time in the last couple of years, His Dark Materials and the entire collection of Austen are bi-annual rereads at the minimum. I often reread my favourite plays as well (Shakespeare, Stoppard, Osborne etc).

Hmmm, my thoughts, and this is just me.

If I don't find a book worth reading more than once, then it wasn't worth reading in the first place.

I actually agree with this. But what I mean when I say it is, 'I may never read this book ever again, but even if I don't, it deserves it.' I usually have to leave a year or two between re-reads if I do at all, and usually I don't.

I actually agree with this. But what I mean when I say it is, 'I may never read this book ever again, but even if I don't, it deserves it.' I usually have to leave a year or two between re-reads if I do at all, and usually I don't.

I definitely am like that as well, where I won't re-read a book until a year or two later. But I find that when I re-read books, there is always something of importance that I missed the first time through. And I think of how terrible it would be if I had never had the chance to discover what I had missed. :D

But I also constantly want to read new books. I guess I will just have to live forever. :D

lol yes I know the feeling. I always eep books on the basis that they are good enough to re-read, but half the time they just sit on my shelves. I spend too much time reading new stuff, or re=reading Harry Potter (I can't resist that one!)

lol yes I know the feeling. I always eep books on the basis that they are good enough to re-read, but half the time they just sit on my shelves.

Still though, I think a book that makes you want to re-read, even if you know you 100% never will get round to it has done the best it possibly can.

There isn't a great many books that I've read more than once- The Handmaid's Tale, Brave New World, 1984 and Catch 22 being all I can think of.

I'd like to re-read books but there's so many others that I've yet to read, I think I'd rather be discovering new books than re-visiting the old ones.

Pretty much of all of Roald Dahl books when I was a kid. Think I read them all at least 3 times each.

Read 'do androids dream of electronic sheep' by Phillip K. Dick a couple of times as I didn't fully understand all the hidden meanings on the first read through. Normally though I don't have enough time to read the books I want to so retreading old ground would feel like I was wasting valuable time.

I have never in my life re-read a book.

I will re-read a book soon though. "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair, because I don't remember it, I read it in High School and probably skimmed through most of it. Now I want to enjoy it.

Outside of that I probably will never re-read another book.

• 1 month later...

I am surprised to see not everyone re-reads. I do that, so many times. I just buy books when they're my favs or I know I'll like them (money issues) and those I re-read over and over. My favourite books, I might have read at least 10 times. I think every good book deserves to be read at least two times. The first time you can't really judge, at least with me. Is like watching a film once, the second time is very different. Second time around you see different things. I have books I have read six times and still every time is different. And some books, they're like my favourite place to be, the world, the characters have become home and friends to me. :lol:

But seriously, if you like a book, why not re-read? Is like you watch a film you love multiple times, you don't just watch it once do you?

I don't get people who don't re-read.:blush:

I agree with everything you've just said, Univerze.

Because money and shelfspace are so limited, I only buy books which I'm fairly positive I'll want to re-read further down the line; if by any chance I was wrong and I didn't like a book enough to want to do that, I'll give it away to re-gain precious shelfspace.

There's books at home that I've read so many times it doesn't even matter what chapter I open them at; it's like those comfort films you've seen a million times so it doesn't matter if you just watch the best bits over a quick lunch. You can skip to your favourite part and laugh and cry along with it, according to what you need at the moment.

What could be better?

A book i've re-read numerous times (although not for a while) is 'A Short History of Nearly Everything', by Bill Bryson. I really enjoy his style of writing.

At the moment i'm re-reading Fahrenheit 451, as part of the 'reading circle'. Everytime someone posts an opinion i find myself going back and dipping into the book to get a new perspective on it :blush:.

But seriously, if you like a book, why not re-read? Is like you watch a film you love multiple times, you don't just watch it once do you?

I don't get people who don't re-read.:blush:

The reason I don't often re-read is because I struggle to read the ones I haven't read, so it feels wrong reading something I've already read!

^I can agree with that, but I can struggle to read a new book, but if my mind's put to re-reading one I have already read, it's hard to read the new one. Sometimes you just want something you've already read, plus sometimes I don't have the money to read something new. My local library (or actually, the libraries in this part of my country, since you can order any book from any of those) sucks. It doesn't have a lot of books I want to read that I haven't read yet, or they just have the translated versions. And since I am pretty much determined to read them in english if that's the original language they're written in.. :blush:

So often too, re-reading is something I do when I have no choice.

I used ot re-read a hole lot more than I do now, simply because I never used to have a TBR pile! Seriously - I would get a bunch of books at Xmas and birthdays, read them, buy a few more throughout the year or borrow some from the library, but I would only really do that when I'd run out of things to read. There were certain favourites I would revisit time and time again.

Now, though, I usually have around 80-100 unread books on my shelves, waiting to be picked up and read for the first time. Seriously - it's only since joining this forum that it happened!

I am re-reading a few books this year:

- the first four Southern Vampires books by Charlaine Harris. I read them around the time that the 4th one was puclished, but never got round to getting hold of the others. Now I have the 1st 8, so I'm re-reading the first few to get me back up to speed before continuing with the series.

- The Plucker by Brom. I read this one a couple of years ago when I spotted it in the library, This Xmas my hubby bought me my own copy so I'm treating myself to a few pages each day so I can savour it all over again. :blush: