Have you read a book more than once?

Inver

Sometimes while rereading I discover something which I didn't notice before, because when reading it the first time, I was mostly curious to know what's written next.

Rereading can be something useful too in a different way. When I go somewhere I sometimes take a book which I've already read, so I can stop reading any time and start reading it again in any chapter I like since I already know what happens anyway. It's a nice way to pass time, just enjoy the book and you can still pay attention to where you are supposed to be, because it doesn't matter when and where you close that book. You have to be carefull about something else though, if funny books tend to make you laugh, then it's perhaps better not to take them. I do laugh out loud sometimes when I read something too funny. But for me it's different, it matters less what anyone thinks of me.

Sometimes I do take a new book with me and then I tend to be so in the story that I forget everything around me. :)

I've also noticed that I'm interpreting certain books in an entirely different way which I haven't read in years. When I read some of those now, I find completely new meanings in them than years ago.

Edited by sadya

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something about you I'll never, ever understand :) I've reread so many books, and for so many times. I cannot imagine not rereading anything! And to think you've only just done it for the first time in your life!

(I still like you though :))

It never really occurred to me before joining bcf, I always thought 'What's the point? I know what happens! I'd rather read something new.' But I did enjoy Dracula again and will definately re-read more ... well maybe next year :D

(So glad you still like me :D)

I don't reread books because there are too many new ones I want to read.

My husband will reread old books like the series with Butch Karp by Robert K. Tanenbaum but I don't like to go back when they were young and the kids were too. Been there done that.

I've reread The Image Men several times. Love the characters, love the plot and i've picked up on different elements by reading it at different times in my life. Hugely impressed and inspired as a teen, the sarcasm and cynicism were much more apparent when i reread it in my thirties. That's most interesting thing about rereading across a long timespan - the book stays the same but often the reader has changed.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't reread books because there are too many new ones I want to read.

I agree, I want to read so many I find it hard to re-read although I do have an urge to re-read a few i've read before lately.

*This is off topic but I must say - I love your signature HotCzech its lovely! :lol:*

That's most interesting thing about rereading across a long timespan - the book stays the same but often the reader has changed.

I love reading something or watching something i did years ago, because it's so true, you see it from a different perspective. There are to many books though that i don't really have tiem to re-read over and over.

I like to re-read a series before a new book comes out.

Which means the 12 book Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan I have read probably about 7 times. Yeesh.

I must admit - re-reading for me is about laziness. :blush:It's too hard to concentrate on a new book sometimes especially when I am studying other stuff. Reading is for relaxation and re-reading is relaxing. It really doesn't matter if I'm not paying attention because I already know the story.

I just finished reading Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom for the third time, which was an inspirational book to say the least. It's about one of Mitch's former professors who is dying Morrie, who Mitch learns lessons from. Truly inspiring, and heart-warming. Just a heads up, Mitch Albom has another non-fiction book coming out, Have A Little Faith. I came across the youtube video on his official youtube website, in which he reads the first few pages of the book, and I can tell already this is going to be an amazing book as well. Check out if you get the chance and I know you will enjoy it as much as I did!

I like to re-read a series before a new book comes out.

Same here! Even if I have the new book in a series I still won't read it until all other previous books have been re-read :icon_eek:

I do enjoy re-reading books but I prefer re-reading books that are in a series. I find that I get more attached to characters when reading a series, such as the Harry Potter series, so I find that makes re-reading book series more enjoyable ;) I re-read the Harry Potter series only a few months ago and I am already missing the trio ;)

The one's I can recall are My Sister's Keeper, P.S I Love You, Twilight, New Moon, all of the Harry Potter series. My TBR pile is getting quite big now so I'm going to have to stop re-reading.

Oh and probably most Jaqueline Wilson books when I was younger :D.

OMG plenty. Books that I hate or even don't finish are consigned to the bin or Amazon Marketplace (if I had to suffer, so should someone else.;))

Books that I think are just OK are read at least twice. I usually find something I've missed second time round. Even fourth or fifth time round. Maybe I have a short attention span. Maybe I should get out more.

Every book in Mike Ripley's Angel series has been read at least 3 times. Some of them 5 or 6 times. Some of them I have even lost count.

Watership Down and The Compleet Works of Molesworth are in such poor condition from being reread maybe a couple of dozen times I couldn't sell them even if I wanted to.

I've reread Shadow of the Wind, Coma and the HP books at least twice.

Like everyone else has said i like to reread them as you miss things, i also like to read them again after seeing the film.

One thing that is odd is i loved the beach by Alex Garland (i'd even go so far as to say one of my favourites) but i can't reread it... everytime i try i get distracted and end up putting it down again. Does this happen to anyone else or just me??